Problems with iPhone mail app

hunts 16:04 PM 04 Jul 12

I have an iPhone 3Gs and over the last few days have been having problems with the mail app. On viewing emails I receive the message "cannot connect to server" (when I have no problems with any other apps connecting to server) and when it does download emails I then cannot delete or transfer to other mailboxes (i.e. mailbox trash or sent mailbox) I have only two mailboxes now - inbox and drafts - whereas I normally have 30 mailboxes. Has anyone else come across this problem and if so have a sotution?

ams4127 20:11 PM 04 Jul 12

Have you ried a re-boot? That cured a similar problem on my iPad.

hunts 23:00 PM 04 Jul 12

Thanks AMS4127, do you mean delete Hotmail (mail server) and reinstall? If so I have tried that and Hotmail will not download. So I have no server within the maail app now. I cannot delete the mail app as it was installed on the iPhone and there is not a delete option.

MariD 18:36 PM 19 Jul 12

hi to you both! if you are having real problems, would suggest you try a third party app specifically designed for email which hopefully would be better. personally I find the iphone mail a bit limited and also I have more than one account, ie google mail, hotmail and yahoo etc. I downloaded an app for the app store called Altamail which works from the iphone to a mac or pc with no issues. Good luck.

bremner 17:24 PM 20 Jul 12

No just shut the iPhone down and then restart. This normally sorts out the email problems.

Whilst I agree the Mail App could be better and will be in iOS6, there is no problem having multiple email addresses in the current version. I have a gmail, hotmail, BT and Apple account on my iPhone and iPad.

hunts 16:47 PM 23 Jul 12

Many thanks bremner, That's what I have done and all sorted now.

Also thanks MariD I'll keep that in mind if I encounter any more problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016