Problem with Digital Camcorder

Sheila_p 19:21 15 Nov 05

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice please?

A few monts ago I bought a JVC GR-DF470EK digital camcorder with built in camera.

I'm very new to using a camcorder and have used it for only about two hours, including looking through the menus, setting the date and time etc.

Recently, I took it to a christening and found that it would only record sound. The LCD display and the viewfinder were both black even though the lens cap had been removed. The situation remains the same whether I'm in video or camera mode.

I feel sure it's something silly that I've done, maybe selecting a menu choice by accident.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sheila :)

Pamy 23:10 15 Nov 05

shiela_p, I know this may not be the answer that you are looking for, and may have already done so, but short of going back to the shop you bought it from and getting that nice young man behind the counter to show you, have you read the manual?

Pamy

Sheila_p 07:59 16 Nov 05

Response from Pamy:

shiela_p, I know this may not be the answer that you are looking for, and may have already done so, but short of going back to the shop you bought it from and getting that nice young man behind the counter to show you, have you read the manual?

Yes, hence my posting.

anchor 10:11 16 Nov 05
  Sheila_p 16:19 16 Nov 05

Hi Anchor,

Thank you very much for taking the time to look up the number and email address of JVC for me. I'll contact them a bit later. I haven't taken it back to the shop, that's quite a treck, so I'll only do that as a last resort.

I posted in case I'd done something unwittingly in the menu system, which other people may have done in the past, before I resorted to contacting them.

Thanks again.

wee eddie 17:31 16 Nov 05

They go through them pretty quickly. You Know!

lindyloo4 21:40 16 Nov 05

Can you go back into the menu and reset default? If you can't see the menu on the LCD screen I'm guessing it's the lack of power. Wee eddie is probably right about the batteries.

PUNKA 10:16 19 Nov 05

On the side of your cc is a silver button with Video and Memory on,opposite side to your lcd screen.Make sure this is set to VIDEO then try and record and play it back, also if it is like the model I have to film with the LCD Screen open, then the Viewfinder needs to be Pushed in. And Pulled out when filming through the peephole.If you cannot solve it contact me through the yellow envelope and I will try further.HTH.Peter.

Pamy 11:08 23 Nov 05

Hello sheila_p,

do tell us if you have now sorted out the problem you requested help for about your new video camera and what it was.

Pamy

Sheila_p 17:01 07 Dec 05

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions and please accept my apologies for not posting sooner.

I tried all the suggestions you made but to no avail, so I filled in a 'fault form' on the website of the company I bought it from.

I was very impressed that they rang me pretty quickly to ask if they could send a courier to collect it (very impressed because they were the cheapest on price at the time I bought it).

Having destroyed the packaging only a few weeks before (!) I decided to drive up with the cam.

It was looked at by two people who said it was faulty (phew!) and it had now been returned to JVC for repair.

I'll report back when I get any more information on it.

Thanks again for all helpful suggestions.

karampuris 21:37 18 Dec 05

Hi Sheila,

I have similar. Was your camcorder fixed by JVC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…