photoshop file type not recognised

pollpott 21 Jan 13

Using PS elements I worked on a photo used "file" "save as" then ticked copy and chose the format JPEG, it said that it had to be saved as a copy which is what I wanted anyway then prompted me to choose file size which I did and all seemed well. However when I tried to open it again in Elements there was no thumbnail of it in the folder, just the file name and a blank file image. It said that it could not open because it was the wrong file type. How can Photoshop save a file of a type which it then cannot open?

pollpott 21 Jan 13

I have just found that I can open the file using Paint.Does that make sense?

SillBill 21 Jan 13

Maybe you thought you'd saved it as a jpeg but inadvertently chose a different format?

pollpott 22 Jan 13

I was very careful not to do that. By default Elements will choose to save as a PSD file so it is a concious decision to change this to jpeg. It just seems odd that there is even a choice of file within Photoshop that results in a format it can't then open another time.

SillBill 22 Jan 13

Really does sound bizarre!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message