Panorama Pictures on the PC

anchor 12:52 03 Aug 09

Using a computer and a digital camera one can make very effective panorama pictures. Years ago, it required a special camera to do this, but with a suitable programme, anyone can do it.

I took some whilst on my tour of France recently; if you would like to see some examples look here:

click here

There are a number of good programmes around, (most are not free), but a good free one to start off with is Microsoft composite image editor.

click here

DieSse 22:15 03 Aug 09

Thank you - and very nicely made pictures. I downloaded direct from MS in preference for "going direct to the source"

click here

Versions for 32 and 64 bit systems.

jack 08:56 04 Aug 09

I have in the past tried' Panorama-ing and had little success.
As my work these days is in the main slide shows I have got by this by heavy cropping to 'letter box format and utilizing the slide shows 'Pan' tool
So more sessions as the nights draw in.
Thank you anchor

oresome 09:12 04 Aug 09

The zebra crossing looks disjointed in one shot. Is this due to the stitching?

The exposure looks nicely even across the shots with just the sky giving a tell tale sign in one or two.

I often get fairly marked differences in exposure spoiling the joins using the auto exposure on my camera.

hssutton 09:38 04 Aug 09

For successful panos you need to take the sequence of photos in manual mode after first checking and setting the exposure and focus.

Here is a sample of what can be achieved, click here not one of mine as I haven't the patience to stitch 77 photos

anchor 11:40 04 Aug 09

Of course hssutton is quite correct. However, as most of my pictures are taken on holiday, I really don`t have the time to check the exposure for each individual shot, and the thought of doing this for 77 shots fills me with horror. My wife would leave me if I did this ;-)

I obtain quite good results using fully automatic, and all were taken hand held. Ideally, one would use a tripod.

oresome: The stitching for the zebra crossing in the Montellimar picture appears to be correct. If you look at this link, you will see the first 2 shots I took, which clearly show the apparent anomaly in the road.

click here

(these are low quality - I have highly compressed them just for illustration purposes)

oresome 11:52 04 Aug 09

anchor,

Thanks for that. Your photos are ones that I'd have been very pleased to have taken.

I did notice you other half and it brought a wry smile to my face as I have similar shots with my wife patiently waiting whilst I play with my toys.

anchor 12:18 04 Aug 09

In addition to making static panoramas, I also make really wide moving ones that use a Java applet.

To illustrate this, have a look at this one which covers about 320 degrees. It was taken in the 14th century timbered square of the city of Mirepoix, near Carcassone.

click here

For this, I used Pixmaker.

oresome: It may inspire you to greater things - lol.

hssutton 15:08 05 Aug 09

Anchor, I'm having problems viewing the Mirepoix pic. waited a full five minutes, but no picture.

Obviously you need a little advice when out taking photos. You leave ther better half at a shopping centre with a credit card:)

anchor 15:51 05 Aug 09

Harry: I have just tried again on both my PC and laptop; no problem.

As I said, it uses a Java applet. Do you have Java installed?; if so, check that Java is enabled in Internet Explorer options; (I don`t know what other browsers say for this setting). If you get music and no image, it suggests a Java problem.

5 minutes is over the top; I have a 5.6meg adsl connection, (tested), and the pic loads in about 2 to 3 seconds.

Has anyone else tried it; if so, what was the result?.

For interest here is the actual picture; (it looks very odd viewed this way).

click here

Leaving my wife at a shopping centre with a CC sounds painful -lol

oresome 17:38 05 Aug 09

Viewed no problem.

I know photography can be an expensive hobby, but hsstton's suggestion is bordering on the ridiculous!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…