Panasonic DMR-EX75EB

Carafaraday 11:30 30 Sep 08

Does anyone know if there is any way of 'seeing' how much of the hard disc is used/free? I seem to have a lot of stuff recorded on the hdd so would like to know whether I've masses of space left or whether I should copy some of the stuff on the drive onto DVD..............

anchor 13:42 30 Sep 08

I have this model.

Turn it on, watch the display, and it will briefly show how much recording time you have left in whatever recording mode, (eg: LP), you have selected.

Carafaraday 13:50 30 Sep 08

Great - thanks. Shows how observant I am, I'd never noticed that. It says 8.32 SP - presumably that's 8 hours 32 mins?

Thanks again for your reply. As you are no doubt aware, the 'instructions' are dire!

anchor 16:00 01 Oct 08

You are welcome; pleased to be of help.

Yes, 8:32 SP ,means 8hrs-32mins of SP recording. This could be extended to double that if you choose to use LP.

I agree, the instructions certainly leave much to be desired.

Carafaraday 17:13 01 Oct 08

Thanks again, anchor. Do you normally use LP rather than sp, and if so do you notice any drop in picture quality?

anchor 14:39 02 Oct 08

Having tried both SP and LP modes, in all honesty I could not see any significant difference. I always regularly use LP.

We have a 41" Sony television, which would certainly show up any loss of quality.

Don`t go any lower though.

Carafaraday 15:33 02 Oct 08

Thank you, anchor. I'm very grateful for your help and will give LP a go - if you don't notice a difference on your 41" tv I'm sure we won't on our 32"!

One further question if you wouldn't mind, and then I'll try and leave you in peace for a while a least.

I want to copy some of the as yet unwatched films from the hard drive to DVD but most are over the 2 hour mark since they were recorded in SP so a normal dvd won't work. I'd prefer to use something that can be wiped and re-used either dvd ram or rw - would a double--sided dvd work ok? I'm pretty sure you can't record directly to one, but would hope that it would work ok for copying. If you have used either ram or double sided dvd could you let me know what make you used (provided it was successful!).

Many thanks again for your help.

anchor 13:54 03 Oct 08

The only disc's I have used are ordinary DVD-R, (not DVD-Ram, RW, or double sided), so unfortunately cannot comment.

According to the manual page 65, (for what its worth), you should be able to get 4 hrs on an ordinary DVD-R disc in LP mode. DVD-Ram would give the same.

Carafaraday 14:01 03 Oct 08

Thanks, anchor, for all your help - most appreciated.

john bunyan 17:15 03 Oct 08

Carafaraday
I have same DVD recorder and regularly use DVD+RW discs and then reformat them. This 'cos my grandchildren watch TV that I have recorded on their cheaper DVD player and I can reuse the disc. DVD-RW also ok. You cannot reuse double sided discs as they are designed for one off use. DVD RAM copies in high speed mode but is only ok if you watch it on a RAM compatible DVD player, which few are.I let the recorder copy in normal timr whilst watching another programme vie the TV tuner. I think there is an option to let it automatically compress films to fit the DVD.

john bunyan 17:16 03 Oct 08

I meant that they can watch on their player, not that I recorded on theirs !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5