//some 3rd party need geo

Our current poll - your feedback on VOIP

Forum Editor 16:15 10 Oct 05

We're very interested to hear what you think of VOIP - have you tried it, are you thinking of it, or do you need more information before plunging in?

As always, we may want to quote you in the magazine, so if you don't want us to use your real name tell us now.

€dstowe 16:27 10 Oct 05

I'm very wary of putting too much reliance on one device - hence my dislike of all in one printers/scanners/faxes and now computer/telephone/ everything.

Computers are well known for failing - often catastrophically and, for business uses, I just can't afford for that to happen. Yes, it's OK with a backup and so on and so forth but to have your important online VoIP business meeting curtailed mid sentence without any way of retrieving it fills me with some dread.

bremner 16:55 10 Oct 05

I attended a presenation given by BT at an IT conference a while ago. It was crystal clear from what was said that we will all be using VoIP in the not so distant future - It is not a matter of if but simply when.

Two of our buildings are using VoIP networks and the benefits over 'conventional' telephone systems are enormous.

The current domestic flavours such as Skype are really just the first wave.

I have used Skype but at present would not want to solely rely on it for the reasons given by Edstowe.

Forum Editor 17:15 10 Oct 05

and industry experts predict that we'll all be using this technology within a couple of years or so. There's no doubt that very large sums are being spent on VOIP services, and BT is going to be in there with the rest of them.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:18 10 Oct 05

I may start using using VOIP dependant on what BT Fusion has to offer when it is rolled out.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:20 10 Oct 05

I may start using using VOIP soon, dependant.....

Forum Editor 17:28 10 Oct 05

It has been rolled out, and if you registered your interest you'll be receiving an email from BT soon.

Fusion isn't VOIP however, it's BT's attempt to get a bigger slice of the mobile phone revenue stream - people are increasingly using their mobiles instead of landlines, and that's not good news for BT.

smokingbeagle 17:47 10 Oct 05

to call India, Singapore and Australia. No problems with the voice quality. The charge rates are eccentric to say the least - never been overcharged that I know of but the rates seem to vary from zero to the stated tariff.

Giant68 17:47 10 Oct 05

I have used Skype since earlier this year to talk to relatives in Australia, unfortunately by using the instant messenger equivalent at the moment as the PC and internet connection at the other end are a bit tired! But we are hoping that the situation will improve soon. It gives my technophobe mother-in-law a real chance of cheap conversations with her cousins down under. I use it for voice calls to friends in this country, and it certainly keeps the phone bills down!

Giant68

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 10 Oct 05

My company is in the process of changing over to VOIP, with a massive country wide network using VOIP will make onsiderable cost savings.

Will use it at work before committing at home.

Curio 18:16 10 Oct 05

on a regular basis to Saudi Arabia. Initially it was a touch and go affair but now my son has got the Maximum Broadband available (250) out there the difference is amazing. We are now in the process of sorting out Conference calling for the whole family (home and abroad)for communal chat days. All for free too. We like it! No publicity please!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…