NTSC to PAL?

LastChip 16:00 27 Nov 05

My wife wants a DVD, that currently is only available in the USA. Of course, this is produced in a NTSC format. No problem in obtaining one - Amazon can do the honours but......

My DVD player is now multi-region (I hacked it), but never having tried to play a different format, does anyone have knowledge of how it works (or not) as the case may be.

What I am asking, does the DVD player automatically read the NTSC format and then convert it seamlessly to PAL, or do you need a television that is also NTSC capable?

This is an area that is a total mystery to me, and any pointers you can give me would be most welcome.

Cannuck 17:22 27 Nov 05

It probably depends on the make of your DVD player.
As you can probably see from my name, I am a Canadian, who lives in the UK in the winter, and I play NTSC tapes and DVD's all the time.

I just put the NTSC DVDs or video tapes into the players, and away they go automatically.

As you've made your DVD multi-region, that's all you should have do to get a picture.

My TV will also switch to NTSC, which I have never done, but it still plays NTSC DVDs and even shows video from my cam-corder when I plug it in.
Cannuck

LastChip 17:49 27 Nov 05

Very usefull information.

DieSse 22:33 27 Nov 05

There's no real difference click here

LastChip 19:17 28 Nov 05

A good read.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…