NTL cable and a PVR/VCR combie

jack 17:35 16 Feb 07

I have been asked by a friend to sort out some difficulty with some aspects of operating their VCR/DVD/HDD- another dreaded all in one.
So I thought the easiest way would be to take the manual and produce from it some idiot boards.
That bit is OK
But then they said 'Oh by the way I'm on cable'

Now my initial reaction was 'OK that should not make any difference- thinking the cable as far as the the machine is concerned is no different to a normal aerial RF input, and should not stop normal operation of getting programs

Or would it?
The machine in question is
Toshiba RD-XV45KB

BT 08:48 17 Feb 07

Can't see any problem. We have NTL/Virgin Cable which is connected via a Scart switch box to my Akai DVD/Video recorder. The same machine is also connected to my Freeview box - hence the scart switch box, and both work fine. The Scart out goes to the TV from the switch box. The RF out is connected via a long lead to another TV in my Computer room and also works fine.
This is the box I use
click here
I have seen it as low a s £9.99 from other stores but I have given this one as it was easuiest to find.

jack 08:54 17 Feb 07

Thank you
As I don't have cable a little info re what I am likely to see is useful.

jack 11:35 17 Feb 07

I have seen it as low a s £9.99 from other stores but I have given this one as it was easuiest to find.

These are most useful
I have a Philips auto
Takes 4 scarts and auto detects which unit is operating and blanks the others.

peatsake 15:00 08 Sep 07

this (expensive) vhs-dvd/vcr will not play multi-layered dvd films e.g sherlock holmes as played by basil rathbone, given as a present they can only be viewed on the £20 dvd in the kitchen! as the tosh is classed as 'home entertainment' does this include throwing things at it every time the dvd film freezes and the vcr resets the film to the beginning or simly freezes solid necesitating pulling the mains switch. help anyone...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…