Norton 2004 - recent updates

mostconfused 12:04 10 Mar 06

This week the updates from Norton have changed some of the screens ( most notavbly the update screen ) and and at the same time are taking up more memory grinding my machine to a virtual halt. Has anyone out having the same issue and if so is it just a case of Norton getting even more memory hungry or is there an issue with the update?

Thanks for any feedback

mostconfused 21:55 18 Mar 06

Thanks

anchor 17:39 19 Mar 06

I use Norton A/V 2005, and update my definition file from here:

click here

The appearance of this site changed a few months ago, but I have not noticed any further changes recently.

anchor 17:40 19 Mar 06

Forgot to add, I have not noticed any additional slowing either.

SURVEY 12:11 21 Mar 06

Yes, my Update screen has very recently changed. I do not thnk that it is as easy to read as the previous screen although it ma be just a matter of getting used to the new one. I have not noticed any additinal slowing down.

mostconfused 18:10 25 Mar 06

Thanks for your replies, sorry for delay in reply been away for a few days. Still no improvement in computer so giving it a rest for a few days doesn't work either!!!

Cheers

Yokel 19:23 25 Mar 06

Yes, I'm still using NAV 2004 Pro and the updates page has changed again.

More noticable for me on 7 March Automatic Live Update itself was automatically updated from version 2.0.39.0 to 3.0.0.160 ( For version number see ProgramFiles>Symantec>Live Update>LUALL.exe properties) This changed from using Scheduled Tasks to using a new system service called 'Automatic Live Update Scheduler' to kick off the scheduled Live Update runs, leaving the old Netdetect job failing in Scheduled Tasks as the NDETECT executable had disappeared.

The changes are evident in the Live Update logs and in the XP system events viewer. Later the same thing happened on my wife's old Win98 PC. If you are thinking of updating Automatic Live Update manually yourself then be aware of
this effect. It might be worth probing in these areas if you have related problems.

Everything seems to work and virus definition updates are being received but it would have been nice to know that such a change was going to happen. I complained to Symantec but of course got 'we are unable to help with your
technical enquiry for an un-supported program' which was not what I was saying. Kaspersky here I come.

PS: I think perhaps we should be in the Help Room forum, sorry sir.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant