Noise Suppression Headphones

bremner 20:41 25 Feb 06

Other trhan the £275 Bose headphones has anyone any experience (good or bad) of other noise suppression headphones or earphones.

I travel on the London Underground most days and have to have the sound level high on my iPod to counter the din created by the train.

Thanks

hzhzhz 21:03 25 Feb 06

There are lots of n/s headphones about. It might be an idea to visit a musical instrument shop and try some studio headphones or drummers headphones. My pal has a pair of studio phones for using his electronic drumkit but I cant remember the make. You should find a pretty good pair for around £80-£100.

hzhzhz 21:07 25 Feb 06

The direct sound ex-29 on hereclick here are £99 for example.

hzhzhz 21:14 25 Feb 06
  bremner 21:46 25 Feb 06

Thank you I will take a closer look - the Turtle Beach earphones look good

ade.h 21:56 25 Feb 06

There are noise-cancelling and noise-blocking 'phones; which would you rather have?

Noise cancellation produces an opposite sound to external atmospherics, thus neutralising it. Noise suppression just blocks it out.

For the latter type, try Shure. About £80, very sound quality. That's not a personal opinion though, as I've not tried them.

bremner 23:33 25 Feb 06

I have done much reading on this and the terms appear interchangable for the range of headphones/earphones available. It just seems a case of semantics whatever the science.

One manufacturers suppression is anothers cancellation. I have tried the Bose and whilst they reduce the noise considerably they certainly do not cancel it.

I simply wnat headphones or earphones that reduce as much as possible the background noise so I do not have to have the volume up towards maximum on the iPod.

Forum Editor 00:20 26 Feb 06

headphones last Christmas, and I have to say they are very good. They come with an airline stereo adapter, and although they don't entirely cancel out the noise of aircraft engines they reduce it to a whisper. They're also extremely comfortable, and the sound quality is superb.

It's just a pity that they're so expensive.

jack 20:18 26 Feb 06

How about a road Driller pair of ear defenders and tuck your in ear pieces under neath? - Some come with a hard hat built in.

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:11 27 Feb 06

Sennheiser PXC250's last year for about £70 - truly excellent value for money - do a good job of removing the low frequencies which cause most of the problems, and the sound quality is very good. Really good on aircraft and in the car (as a passenger!) and they fold up into a neat case so don't take up much room. Also get the airline stereo adapter.
click here

bremner 15:04 28 Feb 06

How inconvienient is the battery pack that comes with the PCX250's and how long do the batteries last

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…