//some 3rd party need geo

Nikon Digital Camera

amonra 15:03 24 Dec 05

My wife's Nikon Coolpix 3100 camera has suddenly decided to throw a wobbly just as the Xmas holiday is upon us. I was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem and knows of a cure ? It switches on from start, the screen lights up, then it switches itself off again. I've changed the batteries, checked for anything obvious, but no luck. I can view previously taken shots but as soon as I switch to the operating position, off it goes ! If nobody has any previous experience, does anyone know where it can be repaired at a reasonable price ? The only other alternative is a trip down to the sales after Xmas. The way prices are dropping it may be cheaper to buy a new one. Merry Xmas to all my readers and a happy new year.

anchor 16:57 24 Dec 05

From what I have heard the words "repair & reasonable price" are incompatible in this field.

You could try taking your camera into a "good" photo dealer and asking them for an opinion. However, as you say you have changed the batteries, which I assume are new AA alkaline (not rechargeable) type, it seems the problem is not going to be easily resolved.

It is probably bite the bullet time, and a new camera is on the cards. Consider going for a higher pixel resolution than the 3.1 on the Nikon. I really did see the difference when I went from a 3Mpix Fuji to my current 5Mpix Canon.

oresome 18:28 24 Dec 05

From a conversation I overheard in Jessops regarding repairs, they were talking around £70 minimum before they added the cost of parts.

amonra 18:37 24 Dec 05

Thank you anchor and oresome for your replies, you have both confirmed what I was thinking. I'll have to be brave in the new year and go bargain hunting with my trusty plastic friend in my pocket.
PS Anybody want a cheap camera ????? needs slight attention.

anchor 12:49 25 Dec 05

If your budget is limited, good offer at Argos; £85

click here

anchor 13:17 25 Dec 05

Jessops web specials until midnight Boxing Day

click here

Check their store prices too.

pauldonovan 22:08 26 Dec 05

..but have you tried updating the firmware? Even resetting the factory settings (if you can) or reloading or upgrading firmware might just get it back into shape...worth a try before binning it.

anchor 13:17 28 Dec 05

If your budget will run to it, check out my recommendation here:

click here

a super camera.

amonra 15:10 29 Dec 05

Problem solved, number one son has bought a replacement. Whew !!!!

anchor 15:57 29 Dec 05

Ah so!

It seems you remember Charlie Chan, and his number one son.

click here

Anyway, have fun with your new camera.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…