New to MP3

def90csw 08:31 25 Oct 06

OK finally decided to ditch my old walkaman that plays tapes, i'm after a simple to operate MP3 type of player, cheapish and something to get used to before deciding if i should buy an iPod.

Also how do i dowload the music to the MP3 player, can i buy downloads if so who are the cheapest?

JoE. 09:24 25 Oct 06

You'll be pleased to know that non-big name mp3 players are dirt cheap such as this one- click here , and relatively easy to use, with the minimal of buttons.

As for downloading to the mp3 player, it will sometimes come with software to allow you to click and drag from the selection of music on your computer's hard drive, or your computer will recognise the device as an external drive, allowing you to click and drag in a similar fashion.

I'm not too upto speed on downloads myself, but my understanding is that you can download single tracks for around 80p per track. click here=

sean-278262 12:37 25 Oct 06

click here

You never mention a budget but there are 100s of players available there. Take a look and see what you like and post back. We can then advise you as to what suits you best.

As for music downloads at 80p per track an album is no cheaper to buy brand new at the likes of virgin when you consider you get the inlay card and a physical disk.

All you need is an mp3 ripper to get the songs to your computer.

click here

Go here and look for musicmatch 7.5. PCA offered a free full version some time ago and it is well worth it as it is nicer to look at than itunes and easy to use plus it supports most mp3 players so for a new to mp3er such as yourself it makes sense.

click here

If the FE or CDE doesnt want that link posted please delete that bit.

As for the point about the ipod. I dont think an iPod is the best solution. They are not very stylish in my opinion and plus everyone has one (or so it feels). Get something no one else has and at least you have something to talk about rather than who got the latest version of the iplod.

GroupFC 13:41 25 Oct 06

I am not sure that your last link will work. Musicmatch would appear to come from 321 studios and, AFAIK, they have gone bust!

sean-278262 13:48 25 Oct 06

321 may have gone busy but old version still carries the 7.5 version that the CD key mentioned in the PCA link requires.

tony58 17:02 25 Oct 06

"I dont think an iPod is the best solution",are you saying 30,000,000 people are wrong .

JoE. 19:19 25 Oct 06

I don't think he's saying 30 million people are wrong, he's just speaking from the experience of some of those people. I know people who have Ipods, and as best I can make out, they have miniscule battery life (as little as half an hour so I hear), and break far more easily than some makes. C'mon, he only wants some advice on a new mp3 player, and it just his opinion. :)

sean-278262 23:23 25 Oct 06

"I dont think an iPod is the best solution",are you saying 30,000,000 people are wrong ."

Yes, a DAP is a DAP not a fashion accessory to fit in with the crowd. By creating a lock in monopoly apple owns the market. Had the market not been locked out the scale of the ipod would be minimal.

And yes I dislike the ipod.

I think this topic should best go back to where it is and discussing the needs of the poster not peoples opinions unless you are giving advice.

def90csw 15:38 26 Oct 06

Sorry forgot to add i'm after a cheapish mp3 player to see if i like using them, anything under £30 if possible.

sean-278262 03:29 27 Oct 06

Go to tesco def90csw, they are doing some nice little 512 and 256mb players. Picked a friend up one for his birthday today and he is well chuffed with it. Screenless one that I got was under £15 and with a screen £17. Both of these are 256mb.

sean-278262 03:32 27 Oct 06

Go to tesco def90csw, they are doing some nice little 512 and 256mb players. Picked a friend up one for his birthday today and he is well chuffed with it. Screenless one that I got was under £15 and with a screen £17. Both of these are 256mb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…