New Laptop

fox-knight 20:49 13 Sep 07

Hi all,
Just starting an hnc in multimedia, gonna get myself a new laptop. Has any1 seen any good offers, looking for wifi enabled, & it needs to be able to cope with programs like quark/nero, etc which can use shed loads of memory. As a skint student i'm looking for the best deal out there, any suggestions?

seen this one in pc world, ACER 5633WLMI LAPTOP - ACER 5633WLMI INTEL CORE 2 DUO T5500 PROCESSOR 1.66GHz LAPTOP

Is it any good?

A-Nonymous 13:58 14 Sep 07

fox-knight wrote:
"seen this one in pc world, ACER 5633WLMI LAPTOP - ACER 5633WLMI INTEL CORE 2 DUO T5500 PROCESSOR 1.66GHz LAPTOP"

How much is it?

postie24 15:51 14 Sep 07

click here
Looks a decent enough model for your intended use

fox-knight 16:11 14 Sep 07

Yeah your one looks good, £100 cheaper than the one i've seen at pc world, the only differnce is the hard drive size 80gb/160gb and the shared/non shared graphics card.
£500 Pc world, £400 Comet,

Do you think the graphics card will make much of a diffence to the multimedia, not planning to use it for gaming?

not fussed on the hard drive size either as i have a 160gb external at present.

postie24 15:20 15 Sep 07

Sorry i should have the bit about multimedia.
You will need at least 1GB of RAM, and make that 2GB if you plan on using it for multimedia or have integrated graphics, which 'borrow' from your RAM as they lack dedicated memory.
On a laptop you really can't get away from integrated graphics, but most ATI or nVidia chips are better than the standard Intel GMA graphics. Make sure it supports at least 128MB for video, if not 256MB. (64MB just won't cut it with Vista.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…