New ipod user - charging battery

sheila.weston 16:04 PM 07 Jul 11

I have connected my new ipod to my laptop and a message has come up saying sync complete. I have left it connected as I want to completely charge the battery, which my 'ipod touch for dummies' book recommends. There is NO screen showing on the ipod. Is this correct, or should the screen be lit up with a message of some sort showing that it is charging? I understand that it takes about four hours to fully charge.

Thanks for any help.

Crosstrainer2 07:44 AM 08 Jul 11

This is where Apple fall down a little, so bear with me here. An ipod won't charge fully via a USB port on the PC without the Extra Power dock adaptor. It will however "Trickle" charge, but it's a damn expensive way of doing it.

Did you buy a mains charger? I know they cost a lot for what they are, but worth it in the long run.

This also applies to Ipads (although the not charging symbol appears, it is trickle charging)

If you would like a specific place for all things Ipad, Ipod and Iphone (Don't leave here or the FE will shoot me:)

Come join us at:

Its free, just like this great site (Creeping to FE)

Crosstrainer2 07:46 AM 08 Jul 11

Link failed....Try:

link text

sheila.weston 12:43 PM 08 Jul 11

Many thanks, crosstrainer. From what you say, I assume that the ipod is charging, even though the screen is blacked/off? How much should one pay for a decent charger? I notice (on this page) that a Google Ad is advertising one for £4.95.

Crosstrainer2 13:23 PM 08 Jul 11

Yes Amazon have them for around £6 or £7 that's about right. iPad stuff much more expensive, I bought a dock for my iPhone too, and a dock extender, cost around £ 40 but makes life a lot easier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…