Need help with external DVD writer/media player

ChloeJ 20:38 27 Apr 08

Hi
I have a Macbook (without a DVD writer drive) running Tiger and I have lots of TV and films that I'd like to burn as data files to DVD to free up space on my hard drive.

So I'm looking for an external DVD writer, but I would also quite like to watch this stuff on my TV so what I want to know is: Is there any way I could connect an external DVD writer to my TV and use it to watch these DVDs on my TV?

I've tried to find this out from forums and other websites but it seems ridiculously complicated and mostly involves external hard drives not DVD writers.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks very much

Chloe.

ICF 07:28 29 Apr 08

There are many multimedia hard drive enclosures that would work for you.My advice would make sure they play the file type you have.Also be careful about what file sysytem that you can use on the hard drive ie FAT 32 or NTFS.FAT 32 has file size limits of 4GB.

Here is one for example but I have not used this one click here

ICF 07:33 29 Apr 08

The other way to go would buy an external DVD writer and buy a DVD player which can be bought for less than £30.Be careful again that the DVD player can play all your file formats.

Wilham 16:24 30 Apr 08

I liked the ad on p128 in our current June PCA for the Plextor External Media Player PX-MPE500U. I was even more pleased when I rang click here and found the larger 750GB version. But put off when the UK suppliers listed either did not stock, or priced it near £200 inc vat & pp.

So I have just purchased the following from Ebuyer...
1 x Samsung HD753LJ 750GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM
1 x Sumvision Zengo 3.5" SATA Multi-Media Centre Recorder/Player Enclosure for SATA Drives.

The drive is about £70 and the multimedia caddy £45.

The Zengo came with gold plated (switched in/out) scart adaptor for RCA + S-Video, a driver CD (not needed for XP), mains switched mode auto 100-240v in-line power supply, and some leads. USB2 connected.

My set-up worked first time without problem. I'm new to seeing 750GB in one partition. Note, - some of the Zengos are IDE. Mine is SATA only.

Too early to offer a review, but this posted because I was pleased to see ICF's multimedia hard drive suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5