My VCR died today

golfpro 10:45 01 Apr 07

My old Panasonic vcr has just given up the ghost. I'm not going to bother getting it repaired, as other little things were starting to go wrong.
So what do I do, Buy a DVD Player/recorder (but which one), or a DVD/VCR combination. Over the last couple of years I have not bought anything on Tape just DVD's, and from what I have heard it wont be long before VCR cassettes will no longer be available, just like Audio tapes which are a pain to find these days.
With a DVD Player/recorder can I record TV programs direct to disc or must I record to the DVD and then transfer to the disc, also are some discs rewritable.

Kate B 12:05 01 Apr 07

I've got this click here which is brilliant. The only downer is that you can't record anything to DVD so you can't keep stuff, though the hard drive is big. It's dead easy to use.

MichelleC 12:31 01 Apr 07

Or there's a Lidl special from 5th April click here

anchor 13:58 01 Apr 07

I posted a question along these lines in December.

click here

As result of the responses and personal recommendations sent to me by members of the forum, I decided on the Panasonic DMR EX75. I got this early in January, and am delighted with the results.

Took a little while to get completely familiar with it, but even in LP mode the quality is indistinguishable from the original broadcast.

click here

Paid £315 at John Lewis.

exdragon 14:11 01 Apr 07

I'm with Kate on this one - it was £197 from John Lewis - I thought about what I actually wanted to record and keep from the TV. The answer was not a lot, so I decided against one which records, which would have been over £300-odd. The Humax is brilliant.

anchor 15:07 01 Apr 07

You asked: "with a DVD Player/recorder can I record TV programs direct to disc or must I record to the DVD".

If you choose a machine with a DVD recorder, you can record either direct to the hard disc or a DVD. You can transfer the recording to a DVD later, if you wish.

Rewritable DVD`s are available, either as DVD-RW, (or in the case of Panasonic both DVD-RW and DVD-RAM).

It really depends what you want, and your budget. The Humax is, I am sure a very good machine, but you would also probably need a separate DVD player some time.

golfpro 17:57 01 Apr 07

When it says "DVD recorder" am I to assume that it will also PLAY dvd's as well, or is just a recorder. (you can tell I'm just a beginner with these things).
There is a Targa DRH-5400x with 250 GB hard disc on sale at my local Lidl in Austria from Monday, for 299 Euros (202 pounds), But I'm tempted by the Panasonic.

Stuartli 21:18 01 Apr 07

If you still wish to watch your video tapes, then one of the few remaining VCRs on the market is the excellent (and reasonably priced) Panasonic NVHV-61

De Marcus™ 22:15 01 Apr 07

"I've got this click here which is brilliant. The only downer is that you can't record anything to DVD so you can't keep stuff, though the hard drive is big. It's dead easy to use.

Go to asda, buy a cheap dvd recorder, search the web (beforehand) for (compatibility) the model number, voila!

Ready made DVD's, no different to a VCR recording (in legal terms).

Kate B 23:35 01 Apr 07

Thanks, but I don't need or want a DVD recorder - that's why I didn't buy one. I was pointing out what someone else might consider a drawback in the box I use and was suggesting.

golfpro 07:20 02 Apr 07

This is getting more complicated (for me at any rate). The only thing I want, is something that will play DVD's, record programs off the television when I'm out, so that I can watch them at a later date, and then either wipe the disc clean or record over it. I'm not really bothered about saving recorded films onto a DVD+R. How many hours recording time does a 200GB hard disc have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5