My mobile phone has wrecked my Sat Nav.

Fermat's Theorem 19:13 22 Nov 08

I suppose the title says it all, but of course it was my unthinking stupidity when I put the mobile and the sat nav into the same pocket for about half an hour.

When I later switched on the sat nav I found that about a quarter of the screen display has been blacked out, pixellated or whatever, rendering it absolutely useless.

Anyone know if there is a remedy? Otherwise, be warned - a switched off mobile is still emitting radiation.

ravingdave 00:04 23 Nov 08

sounds to me as if you have cracked or damaged the screen of the LCD on the satnav. Can't believe it is anything to do with the mobile phone, other than perhaps the phone physically crushing the stanav whilst it was in your pocket?

MCE2K5 00:11 23 Nov 08

Does the Satnav have a reset button or can you disconnect the battery.

g0nvs 10:11 23 Nov 08

A switched off mobile phone is emitting nothing.

Forum Editor 12:54 23 Nov 08

your phone emits nothing when it's switched off - it does sound as though you've accidentally crushed the SatNav screen and caused the damage that way.

Fermat's Theorem 14:23 23 Nov 08

all very much for your comments.

MCE2K5, I have done reset, removed battery etc. - No joy :-(

gOnvs and FE, the screen does not seem to be crushed in any way. The fault looks like an irregular shape of blacked out pixels and red and blue strobing horizontal lines - so to me it looks like a radiation damage.

Are you sure a switched off mobile emits nothing? I thought, that as long as the battery is connected, it emits a signal to the nearest base? Have miscreants not been traced by the authorities in this way?

Cymro. 15:08 23 Nov 08

Whenever I am in the car and using the Satnav I have my Mobile and Satnav within about half an inch of each other with so far no ill affect.

Fermat's Theorem 15:19 23 Nov 08

So also have I. In my pocket, I presume one was immediately beside or on top of the other.

I have a distant memory of wiping a 3.5" floppy disk (remember those?) and also blaming an adjacent mobile phone.

Fermat's Theorem 17:21 23 Nov 08

to buy a new sat nav and to be more careful with it in the future :-)

Many thanks to those who responded to my post.

Ventad 11:36 24 Nov 08

A few weeks ago I was watch a lad on Utube showing how to recover the lcd screen of a telephone when it went black. In short he taped up the screen to stop condesation getting in, placed and sealed the phone in plastic bag placed it in the freezer (can not remember how long for) he then took it out and it was working again. don't know if this will be any help!!

Fermat's Theorem 13:02 24 Nov 08

Thank you for that. There is nothing to be lost, so I will try out the freezer experiment.

I'll post back if there is any success :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…