Music downloads - newbie questions

Pineman100 09:03 05 Mar 08

I don't have an MP3 player and have never downloaded music tracks. But I plan to start.

I have no intention of buying an iPod - I think they're overpriced, and I don't like the idea of being tied to iTunes and its DRM.

I just took a look at eMusic, and was surprised to see that it charges £8.99/month for membership. Are all music download sites like that? I don't want to pay a membership fee - I just want to download tracks as and when I feel like it, and pay for them individually.

Can anyone please point me to some good, DRM-free sites, where I can buy my tracks in this way?

Many thanks.

hastelloy 13:05 05 Mar 08

As a lite user and pay for what you download.

Kemistri 15:30 05 Mar 08

You won't even need to pay, if you happen to find something that you like here: click here. All legal and above board.

beynac 15:38 05 Mar 08

My wife has used Tesco, which was very straightforward. There is DRM on the tracks but the conditions are very reasonable (multiple copy, re-download etc). See the Tesco site for details:

click here

Pineman100 17:31 05 Mar 08

to all of you. I've just tried a couple of downloads from Tesco (they weren't on the free site), and all went well.

But... I have another question, I'm afraid.

The tracks were supplied to me in WMA format (which I think is the Windows Media Player format, isn't it?). Will these play on an MP3 player, or do I have to change their format? If so, is there any free software that I can get to do this?

Thanks for any further advice.

Kemistri 18:15 05 Mar 08

WMA is supported by almost all portable media players. I think that even Sony supports it now.

Demora 19:02 05 Mar 08

This is a good converter

click here

D

Pineman100 14:06 06 Mar 08

Thanks very much to everyone. My questions are all answered fully.

I'm very grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…