Music download sites.

curlylad 20:53 04 Oct 05

I would like some advice please.I wish to start downloading music from the internet but there are quite a range of sites or programs I could use to help me do this.I guess what I want to know is which sites offer the biggest collection of available tracks to download , which are the cheapest sites and which are the easiest to use and also which sites are the quickest to download from , dependent on PC capabilities of course ?

If anyone can help , much appreciated as ever !

PC Advisor. 10:23 05 Oct 05

It so happens PC Advisor has got an in-depth feature in our upcoming December 05 edition (on the newsstand 20th October).

If you want the option of renting AND buying you might want to try Napster click here, Virgin Digital, click here or HMV Digital click here.

In terms of number of tracks, Napster appears to have the edge at the moment with 1.6m tracks. Subscription is £9.99 per month for an all you can eat deal.

Forum Editor 17:05 05 Oct 05

one thing to bear in mind is that if you decide to cancel your monthly membership you will no longer be able to play any of the music you've downloaded from Napster. That means to listen to your music on your computer you must carry on paying £9.99 a month, whether you download any tracks or not. No problem, provided you're going to download month in, month out, and continue to do so.

If you want to transfer music to CDs or to your MP3 player you'll have to fork out an additional fiver, bringing your monthly subscription to £14.99 - that's quite a lot for the average computer user who just wants to download the odd few tracks, or a CD occasionally.

If you opt for the Napster Lite package you can pay per track at the rate of 79p (68p if you buy a napster 'track pack'). The 79p rate is the same as iTunes, and buying music this way means you can write it to CDs or transfer it to your MP3 player - it doesn't require you to keep paying a monthly membership fee.

It's worth taking a good look at all the options before signing for a monthly subscription - if you're not a big downloader you might be better off paying no subscription and buying each track as you go.

curlylad 17:18 05 Oct 05

Thanks for your replies.Thanks for the links provided and the points raised.I am the type of user who would like to occasionaly download the odd track and not pay a monthly fee , perhaps one or maybe two tracks per week , something along those lines.Bearing this in mind it looks to me as if the best option so far is Napster Lite.So just to clarify , if I download Napster Lite , and then download a song can I then keep that downloaded song on my PC Ad Infinitum and listen to it every day , burn it to a CD and listen to it in my car , burn it to CD and play it on my CD player in the living room etc etc and I still only pay the original price for that song of 79p ( or whatever the current price is) for as long as I have it , one off payment of 79p ? If this is correct then surely for a infrequent downloader this must be the best option , your thoughts please !

ade.h 17:18 05 Oct 05

Try Epitonic to start you off. click here It is all free and entirely legal. Every track has the copyright holder's permission and it's not Peer to peer or anything like that. The only downside is that, due to a change of ownership earlier this year, it hasn't had any updates for a while and may not be here forever. Its library is huge, though.

Forum Editor 18:08 05 Oct 05

so I can't give you a definitive answer. I use iTunes, and I can certainly do all the things you mention with a single 79p payment.

Take a look:-

click here

SOREBLADE 17:30 06 Oct 05

Oooohhhh by some Pop Tarts and use Napster (Pop Tarts are nice and you get free music)!!

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:33 10 Oct 05

Search in windowsmedia at click here and right click the file and click 'save target as'

go to click here

Its quite limied, but still good :)

andy625 13:59 11 Oct 05

Can you download tracks from I-Tunes in wma format? I haven't downloaded any music before, but I have copied in a load from my cd's, and using media player they all get saved as wma files, so I'd like to keep any I download in the same format.

Is this a good plan, what do other people do?

bremner 16:24 11 Oct 05

iTunes downloads are m4p files.

To convert them one method is to burn it to a CD RW then rip back using WMP to wma.

Daz35 22:22 11 Oct 05

Woolworths also do a download service which is 192 wma format.

Not as many tracks as Itunes etc, but only 59p a track. Great for current chart stuff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…