mp3 player not shown on My Computer

cantabile 01:04 23 Feb 07

Hi just bought dinky Technika MP-906 256MB MP3 player from Tesco £5! I run desktop XP SP2 manual says no software needed. Plugged MP3 in, PC detected new hardware "mass storage device" and installed driver then reboot. But MP3 only shows up for the instant I plug it in/unplug it. Icon shows for seconds only, and does not respond to "explore" nor can I move tracks to it. Have tried it in all USB ports, and using USB cable, other devices work in the ports. Obtained new MP3 from Tesco on basis this was faulty but same thing happens. Help! :-(

sean-278262 13:47 23 Feb 07

Plug the player in the port and go to my computer, control panel, system, hardware, device manager, see if it appears under storage devices.

If it does and it has a yellow icon beside it right click it and update the driver.

If this fails. I found going onto the microsoft update site to get all the latest updates usually works.

cantabile 23:33 24 Feb 07

thanks Astec for your thoughts. The Control Panel shows device working which is very confusing! I am on auto updates so there is nothing much to add to my XP, I think. I left the MP3 plugged in when shutting down pc yesterday, on switching on today found the whole system crashed. I have decided to give away the MP3, stick to my minidisc player which works a treat even if a bit bigger! ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…