MP3 player that can play movies??

stugra 19:58 07 Dec 06

Can you advise on an MP3 player that can play movies as well?

Where do I get the movies from - can they be ripped from my home DVD's?

I am put off iPOD as I do not want an mp3 player that is restricted to an ipod file format. All my tracks are on my PC in mp3 or wma format - or am I being harsh on iPOD here?

Any recommendations on what is the best?

Cheers in advance.

ashdav 00:45 08 Dec 06

MP3 players won't play movies.
MP3 is an audio format.

Monument 03:41 08 Dec 06

iPod click here

Archos click here

Zune click here

To name but three

stugra 18:28 08 Dec 06

Thanks ashdav, however I think that MP3 players can play music, just the same as breadmakers can make cakes!

More thanks to monument for the useful links.

Can anyone answer the following:
1) Are there any alternative mp3 players other than ipods that can play podcasts (audio and video)?

2) Where do I get the movies from - can they be ripped from my home DVD's?

3) I am put off iPOD as I do not want an mp3 player that is restricted to an ipod file format. All my tracks are on my PC in mp3 or wma format - or am I being harsh on iPOD here?

Thank you!

Kate B 12:53 09 Dec 06

iPods play unprotected mp3 files, though they won't play wma files. Just make sure if you go for an iPod and want your music files to be playable elsewhere to change the default ripping setting in iTunes from AAC to mp3.

I think - though I could be wrong - video podcasts are in a universal format; and podcasts are in mp3. I like iPods - I've had four over the past few years - but I suspect if I were recommending from scratch I'd say look at the Creative range.

JoE. 14:51 09 Dec 06

Video pocasts are (usually) in mp4 format. An mp4 player is what you'll need to play movies. As has been said before, mp3 is an audio-only format.

I believe that most home DVDs are protected to prevent ripping from them. You can download podcasts from various websites such as click here to watch on an mp4 player.

JoE :o)

sean-278262 18:03 10 Dec 06

mp3 is as said a codec, sound file. It is not a physic entity. A DAP (Digital Audio Player) is what plays the music on the more. A PVP (portable video player) is a device that can play video. So you require a DAP with PVP capability. Commonly and mistakenly these are called mp3 players with mp4 compatability but as I outlined these are both formats and not tangable.

Personally I would choose something non apple or microsoft as most other players are more compatable and play a much wider range of formats. Archos, creative, iriver and iaudio are the 4 best in order of greatness (in my opinion). Archos are the original video on the go people.

Video conversion is possible using the likes of iriverter which is compatable with many players and I may in the future actually take my hand to it and make it format for even more players.

stugra 19:57 10 Dec 06

I am considering one that has an expandable memory card slot - Perhaps Sandisk range - what do you think?

sean-278262 21:53 10 Dec 06

Sandisk are the biggest name in memory card products so cant say anything bad about them as I have never had a problem with them however remember that plug and play is supported by most players these days. Also note that memory is something to really be specific about. I have 40gb and with a film taking 700mb on average there is not a lot goes on it at the end of the day. I cannot even carry 1/4 of my collection of films. Then there is my 20+GB music collection so consider hard drive size as imperitive.

An expansion slot will only have limited use for you but does depend what you really want from it..

A

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac