mono to suround sound

Devil Fish 19:45 15 Jun 06

cut a long story short
have been given a set of 5.1 suround sound speakers by a friend who has just purchased new ones
however on closer inspection my TV DVD And VCR all have mono output left right channel

The Question is is there a converter to allow surround sound run off mono

i hope i am makindg sense

thanks in advance

brundle 20:04 15 Jun 06

A mono source wouldn't contain enough information for a surround sound processor to er...process.

wee eddie 21:49 15 Jun 06

The minimum will be Stereo

Devil Fish 22:10 15 Jun 06

what i have is analog audio out red socket right channel white socket left channel i have 3 leads that came with the surround kit these are 2 into 1 leads
according to the manual my dvd player /tv requires 6 sockets

Left And Right
centre and subwoofer
rear left and rear right

what i need is to know is their a box or gadget i can put between the dvd player /tv and the sub with a 2 channnel input and six chanel output as described above

DieSse 22:44 15 Jun 06

Two outputs, left and right channel is stereo, not mono.

Here's a basic article on what you can do to get a "sort-of" surround sound effect. click here

DieSse 22:52 15 Jun 06

Alternatively, you need to buy an AV receiver, which will take stereo inputs from your various sources, and output them to surround sound speakers. You will only get true surround sound from surround sound encoded sources, of course - such as DVDs noted as having surround sound.

Devil Fish 22:58 15 Jun 06

thank you all for your respones

i can do it by putting surround sound amp av

appologies if i was a bit vague

thank you for the link DieSse very helpfull

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…