Mobile phone video

Daiol 17:31 10 Sep 07

Hello there,I have a sony erricson mobile phone,the other day i did a short video of my granddaughter using the mobile phone i downloaded the clip onto my pc but cant play it i have windows xp pro installed wmp 11 & cyberlink power dvd player any thoughts please??
Thanks.daiol.

holme 18:04 10 Sep 07

What is the file extension of the video please? You may well have to download a suitable format converter/codec.

Daiol 19:00 10 Sep 07

Sorry i dont understand the question 'What is the file extension of the video please?' i'm working a little blind here its my 1st attempt really.Thanks for reply.

holme 19:41 10 Sep 07

Hokay, confusing isn't it? Every file on Windows has a 'filetype' so that Windows recognises what sort of file it is and (potentially) what to do with it, e.g. play a video. It's usually a 'three-letter extension', preceded by a full stop, added to the filename. So if you had (say) a JPEG image called MyPikky27, the full name of the file would be MyPikky27.jpg

Trouble is, the file extention isn't generally shown in a directory viewer. There are various ways round this but, IMHO, it's often easiest to right-click over the file icon, select Properties, and then read off what it says alongside 'Type of file:'

Don't worry if this doesn't do it for you. If you can't work out the specific filetype/extension from that, we (or other) may be able to suggest a 'package' of various converters which you can install into WMP or Cyberlink. Then, hopefully, that might include the one you need to play this particular file. See how you get on.

holme 19:45 10 Sep 07

Oh and can you say what version of Windows you have; e.g. XP or Vista. That might help to sort out a suitable 'codec' pack for your pC. Ta.

Daiol 19:46 10 Sep 07

did right click on video file:This is what i got ::type of file 3GP file. Size 0.98mb.Hope that does help.Thankyou very much.daiol.

holme 20:18 10 Sep 07

Ah, I don't think 3GP is included in the standard codec packs (not for XP anyway).

So I'm not personally able to suggest what to use. However, if you keep your eye on this currently-running thread click here, that might eventually come up with something. HTH.

And there are other closed 3GP threads. Put '3GP' in the 'Search Forum:' box (above) and maybe search all the different forums and threads. Maybe one of them will assist.

LAP 14:59 11 Sep 07

try this click here

Daiol 09:43 12 Sep 07

Thanyou all for your support but at the end of the day i downloaded some codeks for wmp but found that the quality of footage was noy viable for further use.Thanks once again you are a very helpfull forum.Daiol

Shawn_K 07:12 21 Sep 07

Why not try to install another software like realplayer , realoneplayer or media classic player,(IMO,wmp can play the 3GP well as U've downloads some package,but it seems do not work on ur PC),So, I suggest U to install the media classic player,that's a almighty player.
And you can get it on the official site of Microsoft.
Good luck!
-------------------
Let the cat out of the bag.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…