Mobile Phone Info

laurie53 16:06 12 Mar 09

My wife and I need to upgrade our mobiles as, like us, they're showing their age.

We're on Pay & Go with O2, and what I really want to know is do I have to stay with O2's range of phones, or can I just buy a phone and transfer the sim?

I don't really want to change networks.

Pamy 17:08 12 Mar 09

I am sure you can buy an "unlocked£ phone and stick in any sim you want, but what is wrong with what you've got

Demora 17:52 12 Mar 09

You can buy SIM free phones at Carphone Warehouse and also online. But SIM Free isn't very cheap.

D

Stuartli 18:27 12 Mar 09

Have a look at Tesco's website for free SIMS and some excellent offers on tripling your credit value each month (used to be quad sized)(!):

click here plus click here

Tesco uses the O2 network by the way...:-))

Asda also offers a mobile phone service:

click here

Stuartli 18:29 12 Mar 09

Asda is housed on the Vodaphone network.

laurie53 19:11 12 Mar 09

Pamy - "but what is wrong with what you've got"

After 10 years or so the battery is failing. If I have to buy a new battery I might as well upgrade.

It's a clamshell which my arthritic fingers are finding increasingly difficult to use.

It requires `a fairly strong signal which isn't always available.

It cannot be totally muted, only partially.

It drops calls.

Demora - "You can buy SIM free phones at Carphone Warehouse"

I don't want a SIM free phone. I already have a SIM which I want to use in my new phone.

Stuartli - Don't want a free SIM. As above I've already got one, unless they don't work in other phones.

laurie53 19:11 12 Mar 09

Pamy - "but what is wrong with what you've got"

After 10 years or so the battery is failing. If I have to buy a new battery I might as well upgrade.

It's a clamshell which my arthritic fingers are finding increasingly difficult to use.

It requires `a fairly strong signal which isn't always available.

It cannot be totally muted, only partially.

It drops calls.

I don't want a SIM free phone. I already have a SIM which I want to use in my new phone.

Stuartli - Don't want a free SIM. As above I've already got one, unless they don't work in other phones.

Pamy 19:48 12 Mar 09

I think what Demora is telling you is that you buy the phone without a simm and stick yours in it

Stuartli 19:50 12 Mar 09

I was pointing out, mainly, that switching to Tesco, which uses the O2 network, will save you money..:-)

It also offers an excellent range of mobile phones at prices that will almost certainly suit your budget. Your current SIM will more than likely work although you may have to reconfigure the settings in some cases.

If necessary, Tesco offers advice on how to unlock phones on its website (Virgin Mobile offers similar advice with its new SIMS).

laurie53 20:12 12 Mar 09

All a bit too technical for me I'm afraid.

I bought £10 credit eighteen months ago and have still got £7 something left, so a new mobile is hardly a lifestyle choice!

Thanks for the responses; I think I'll just go along to the shop and ask.

Pamy 20:36 12 Mar 09

laurie53, what bit about bying an "unlocked" phone and sticking your simm in it do you not understand?
You just buy a phone that is not locked to any one provider, and stick your simm in it and it will work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced