Mobile phone cashback 'rip-off'

CatTrading 16:11 PM 20 Dec 07

More info on this report by the BBC click here

merciarich 01:33 AM 04 Mar 08

I had a cashback offer via 02 and the Carphone Warehouse in month 6 of my contract

I had no problems whatsoever and had a cheque for £150 sent within 7 days of sending the cashback paperwork off.

pavvi 22:34 PM 05 Mar 08

My advice would be to get everything in writing from people you are talking to, especially if dealing over the phone. Take careful note of any time limits for sending off your claim and ensure you keep copies, or send copies. I know that CPWarehouse accept photocopies, as I sent quite a few off for customers.

Some people prefer to get the free gifts: i.e. free wii etc, which you would receive after the cooling off period provided they have it in stock.

Go for the least complicated method of reclaiming money: Go for the lowest number of claims. SOme companies try to catch you out by asking for bills 4 and 5, plus bills 7 and 8.

The reason why they will ask you to send out a bill further into your contract is that the retailer doesn't get it's commission from the network until you have paid a certain number of bills.

Covergirl 12:27 PM 13 Mar 08

I would guess that some of them are a ripoff, so caveat emptor.

I only go a mobile (7 years ago) because the Carphone Warehouse and O2 had deals going which meant the phone rental for the first year was £££'s zilch, nil pounds, nothing, nada, zero. Subsequent renewals of the contract and it's now standing at £100 upfront for 600 mins offpeak per month and a free phone upgrade every year.

I think I'm getting a good deal !

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites