Media servers and access to NAS Media Files

kona 00:29 30 Nov 06

I have a Buffalo LinkStation (HD-HGLAN737) as my Network Server on a home 802.11g wireless network. I would like to add a media server which can access media files from the LinkStation directly (without becessarily having to turn on my PC) and output to my TV and hi-fi.
However I have found it quite difficult to find out from the websites of the various media servers whether they can actually do this, mostly the manufacturers indicate they use software to link to a PC.
Buffalo do their own media servers which do link with inbuilt software on the LinkStation but they seem hard to come by on the usual websites, variously listed as discontinued or special order, and not always enthusiastically reviewed.
Pixel Magic's MB100 and MB200 do list this as within their capabilities and they are well specified and reviewed. But, are there any other media servers which will do this? Do they all do this, and they just don't mention it?
I can link by cable or wireless, because the DSL/Broadband Router is wired to the Telewest Set-top box and they all live together in a big electronic gadget pile in the corner of the room. However wireless devices would be nice if I wanted to listen to "CDs" on the network somewhere else. Has anyone any experience of this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…