LCD TV

Dellman 13:02 08 Nov 06

I'm looking to buy our first LCD TV. I've found the following Toshiba 32WDL66 for about £688.

click here

Is this a good buy?

I have also been looking at the SONY 32WKDL2000.

click here

The Sony retails for about £400 MORE!! Is it really worth the £400 difference compared to the Toshiba which appears to have received rave reviews?

The only concern for me is the apparent optimum viewing distance for the Toshiba which is quoted as 9 feet. Dependent on the viewing position in our front room, this optimum viewing distance may not be achieved in all situations.

Any advice/considerations?

anskyber 14:13 08 Nov 06

I have a Sony. The link you posted has reviews to the right, have a read. Yes its more expensive but I think the hardware and software behind it all makes a difference.

the Toshiba will be fine only you can judge the value for money.

anskyber 14:15 08 Nov 06

I have bought from Digital Point befre without problems. Others may have a different experience.

click here

postie24 19:15 08 Nov 06

Am with anskyber,if you can afford go for the sony dellman

hijo 22:24 08 Nov 06

"dellamn" ive worked for a major electrical company & sony are the best(fullstop) HOWEVER there expensive & i dont allways think you get value for money with them especially with there laptops,
toshiba/panasonic/pioneer are equaly as good (without contradicting myself) & a lot cheaper but u get all the "trimmings" with sony..if i had the wedge "SONY" is boss.

Stuartli 23:19 08 Nov 06

The Toshiba 32WLT66, to give it its correct model number, is a cracking set.

But at that price alarm bells ring...:-)

It costs more at trade price to electrical outlets than that sum you mention and even though one local store in my area is offering it at £799, it is still regarded as being below even a competitive retail price by other dealerships.

Could you provide the link to this model at that price?

Dellman 23:31 08 Nov 06

Here the Toshiba at Dixons for £688

click here=

Stuartli 23:41 08 Nov 06

As I said, it's a remarkable price.

By the way, just found a 32in Panasonic (also cracking LCD models) with Freeview and HD ready at £695.95 at Richer Sounds:

click here

Dellman 23:43 08 Nov 06

I've cheked the front room again!!....viewing distance is unlikely to be 9 feet....likely to be between 7-8 feet......although the kids often have their faces glued to the screen!!

Is there any rule of thumb regarding viewing distances and screen size (number of pixels?)?

Is there likely to be any difference in terms of viewing quality between the 2 models (Toshiba/Sony) or should i be going for a smaller screen?

Stuartli 23:49 08 Nov 06

I very much doubt whether a couple of feet will make any difference...:-)

However, you can get 26in or 27in sets if necessary.

Dellman 13:08 09 Nov 06

I use Cable (Telewest) at present. Is the Toshiba suitable for this? I am not aware that they have rolled out HD programmes/channels yet. Will the TV be able to support "existing" broadcast standards and will the quality still be good?

I also presently have an existing DVD and (Don't laugh!!) Video Recorder that I will want to connect to the TV. Will these both work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…