LCD OR PLASMA?

Choosey1 23:39 28 Dec 06

We are about to buy a new TV and I can't get my head around the best choice to make. Plasma's seem to be more highly rated than LCD's, but everytime I go into a shop, the LCD's always seem to have much sharper picture quality. Advice would be much appreciated.

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:02 29 Dec 06

what size TV? What budget?

Plasmas generally offer better picture quality. The latest sony Bravia LCDs can beat plasmas (at the same price point).

Basically, if you want small - LCD. If you want big - plasma.

If you want the best PQ - CRT.

If you don't mind waiting - SED

If you don't mind waiting longer - OLED

If you're under 30 and in good health, may be worth waiting for laser...

:D

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:04 29 Dec 06

next time your in the shop, either:

1) ask them to show the football on both a plasma and an LCD

or

2) Hand them 2 copies of a DVD with lots of *very* dark scenes and ask them to show it on each

Choosey1 00:58 29 Dec 06

Cheers for the advice. I will be digging through my DVD's imminently, that's a very good suggestion. Ta.

Stuartli 17:01 29 Dec 06
  Bingalau 19:49 29 Dec 06

Stuartli. Thanks for that link, I am now better advised about the different types. However I think I will have a little wait to see what the future holds. Then give it another "Good coat of looking at", before I commit myself. ..Bingalau..

bowman 20:00 29 Dec 06

Hi Bingalau

You may want to take a look here :

click here

Lots of info that may help you make your final decision on Plasma or LCD. I currently have a LG 42in Plasma and I'm more than happy with this make.

Hope this helps.

Phil

bowman 20:03 29 Dec 06

OOPs!

That post should have been for Choosey1 and Bingalau, typing and hitting the buttons to fast before reading.

Bingalau 14:33 02 Jan 07

bowman. Thanks for the info. ..Bingalau..

FatboySlim71 23:38 02 Jan 07

A bit of advice I got from someone I know who works for a large nationwide electrical retailer is this, standard definition tv pictures do not look as sharp as those on a CRT. Also he told me that if you take note of what they are showing on a plasma or lcd in the shop, its either a high definition picture source or some animated film, he told me the reason for this is that if they showed freeview for example on it, the picture is not as clear/smooth/lifelike as they are on a CRT, and I have found his advice to be correct.

I decided to keep my current CRT which I find has an excellent pin sharp picture.

Gaz 25 00:00 03 Jan 07

Freeview it'self is bad quality in my opinion. Sky easily outperforms picture quality wise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now