Kinder for the pleasure of reading

bixylindy 02:34 17 May 16

Hi I am looking at buying a Kinder for my children for reading. Any recommendation?

BT 07:54 17 May 16

Kinder?

KINDLE perhaps?

lotvic 12:59 17 May 16

Depends on what type of books you want the device to display. If you only want Black & White text or if you want to display books in colour with lots of pictures.

wee eddie 13:45 17 May 16

Better to buy the books.

It'll cost you much the same and they're, more or less, indestructible and they can be shared.

I am not a Luddite, just that young kids and delicate screens are a serious health hazard

winsontay 14:28 17 May 16

I'm looking for legends and stories are historical in nature for my brother pls PM me tnx

Forum Editor 14:46 17 May 16

wee eddie

"It'll cost you much the same"

That's not true - many thousands of classic books are available in the Kindle store free of charge, because they are out of copyright. Take 'To kill a mockingbird' for example - cost of a paperback version is £4.99. Cost of the Kindle version £0.00.

Added to which, huge numbers of modern Kindle books are cheaper than their print versions. In the children's book section, 'Where's Santa?' in hard-cover costs £9:99, whereas you can get the Kindle edition for £3.99.

Generally speaking, Kindle books are considerably cheaper, and of course you can take a Kindle containing thousands of books with you wherever you go.

Kindles are perfect for children who want to read a lot.

Forum Editor 14:48 17 May 16

Any recommendation?

Yes, take a look at this.

wee eddie 15:28 17 May 16

It must depend somewhat on the age of the children.

I'm not sure if "Hungry Caterpillar" really works on a Kindle

morddwyd 19:36 17 May 16

If you can afford it, think about a 7 or 8 inch tablet.

The Kindle app is free and you get the added bonus (?) of the internet.

JYPX 22:04 17 May 16

I like the Kindle. Even the cheap/basic one is very good. But the most important point is that - just like a real book - it does not have a built in light. That suits me. I like to read in bed with a bright bedside lamp.

The next model up does have a built in light so think about if you want that....

I also bought the Kindle cover because I realised that I could not concentrate unless I was holding an "open book". I am sure that children who have grown up with tablets will not be encumbered by such daft considerations!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now