JVC Everio to Windows Movie Maker then DVD!

Stressed Mum 20:14 29 Mar 08

Hi all. Before you start reading this post I must warn you – it’s a big one. I have quite a few questions that I am sure someone will be able to answer for me. Running Windows XP. Having just upgraded (a gift) to JVC Everio I was delighted to learn that I could transfer the footage directly onto PC – jiggle it around and create a ‘movie’ add photos, other videos from the PC , make titles and produce a wonderful DVD! Sounded great! Well…. Having learnt the straight forward bit – transfers to PC – I was unable to find any drivers (now you are thinking thicko – but I am a novice – and very very stressed, I had presumed my PC would search for new hardware – but no – and JVC isn’t even listed in the drop down options for capture devices) It appeared to be a straight forward plug and play (at the moment using USB but waiting for firewire lead) using the software that was supplied by JVC. = PowerCinema. This copies the files and puts them neatly away in a folder. Now, when I try and put them into Windows Movie Maker it will not accept the files – I have therefore purchased software WinAvi converter to convert the files before moving over. Raced away editing and adding titles – all looked great. Then I tried to add some videos taken on Nokia Phone – will play back through Nokia Video viewer, and Quicktime – but will absolutely NOT under any circumstances playback through Windows. I have concerted the files, first by opening in Nokia Suite then resaving to MP4 as that was the only option available – the converting through WinAvi to WMV. That allowed it to transfer to Windows Movie but without any audio. So, I thought, ok – not to worry – will sort that another time – let’s just burn this DVD. (This is after bout 3 days work!!) The total footage only came to approximately 20 minutes! I tried Imgburn to burn first – but although that did actually go to DVD it simply would not playback on any device! Disc unreadable I kept getting – I used DVD-RW thinking that would be ok as I’d be able to clear the disc and try again – but no – wouldn’t erase. Wasted about 4 discs! Then I tried Sonic, MYDvdLE – this appear to start working although the Transcoding took bloomin’ ages, then Audio, Planning, Ordering, bBuilding, Preparing and Erasing and then finally got to Writing files – thought at last we’re here. Well …. It’s been trying to write files for the last 24 hours now. I’ve given up now – how difficult can this be. If you have had time to read through this then you are the person to help me… please??? Very unhappy and v.v. SM :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Demora 17:29 30 Mar 08

For file conversion I use click here which is free, which will also convert the files from the Nokia phone. You can also drag the video philes across to super and convert several at once.

Then I compile a home movie and photos with sound in Nero7 ultimate. I also use adobe Premiere Elements 5 as this will read files straight from the Everio Camera.

Microsoft Movie maker although free is a bit limited as to just what you can do and also compresses anything you make into its own format.

I have only posted my pointers as its not a thing I often do....but just to show you maybe that there is easier software out there.

Also I'm interested in any other tips for getting my movies to DVD

D

Stressed Mum 19:29 30 Mar 08

sounds very good to me... I have done a quick search on costs - appears to vary greatly - what would I expect to have to pay for this software do you think? I have just downloaded the free coverter - not able to sort my nokia files out though - either audio, or video - but not both??

Demora 09:48 31 Mar 08

Not sure if this would help. click here

Most video editing software is quite expensive.

Some versions of MyDVD (le) and Nero are cut down and you have to upgrade to get all the functionallity.

D

anchor 11:17 31 Mar 08

Cannot help about the loss of sound from your Nokia files.

You say that you have successfully converted your camcorder files into AVI and edited them in Windows Movie maker. You may have saved the movie in either WMV or AVI file format.

I have used both types to make a DVD, using the free DVDFlick, that play without problem in both my DVD players.

click here

Remember, making these videos is very possessor intensive, and you need a reasonably powerful PC with adequate memory; otherwise it will take a long time.

Stressed Mum 14:23 31 Mar 08

ok - how do I check what I have?

anchor 17:22 31 Mar 08

If you don`t know the spec of your PC, I suggest you post the make and model.

Even allowing for the worst possible scenario, 24 hours to make a 20min DVD is ridiculous. Whilst I have never specifically timed mine, I would have though certainly no more than an hour, even on a fairly modest spec machine.

Personally I always use DVD-R for my videos. It seems this format is more universally acceptable to home DVD players. They are quite cheap these days.

click here

I assume from what you say that your edited WMV movie played normally using Windows Media Player.

ps: excuse the typo in my previous post; I meant to say; "making these videos is very processor intensive".

Stressed Mum 17:59 31 Mar 08

I do appreciate your help - thank you. The make of my PC is Dell Dimentsion 5150. I do use DVD-R for final copying - just put to DVD-RW for the first time and then copy it, which works wonderfully with ImagBurn.

anchor 10:55 01 Apr 08

Here is the spec:

click here

The processor is OK, but the memory is rather low; only 512Mb RAM, which is shared with the graphic card.

Stressed Mum 18:13 02 Apr 08

Gosh - this is all so time consuming! I have finally managed to put all my work into Windows Movie Maker, including the Nokia clips. Convert with Prism helped there! But now, after many tries, I don't seem to be able to save movie correctly - The movies that I have saved both as a project save Movie save simply will not transfer to any other software for burning - what's wrong now? I have followed various other threads on this subject and saved as DV-avi to My Computer. I have tried several different burners - some of which simply chewed me up and spat me out, and I guess this is because it simply cannot read Movie Maker? Any help anyone? Thanks.SM :(

Stressed Mum 22:00 02 Apr 08

I know someone must know how to help me!! I've read through lots of previous threads but none seem to match my problem! I have now managed to save movie - but to do this I had to choose WMV. Also, managed (or so I thought) to burn using ExpressBurn to DVD. Started to play back ok - then just stuck on a video clip - audio kept running. The clip that got stuck on was in fact originally a Nokia Clip - but all files were converted. If I try to playback through WMP the same thing happens. If I recover project (in avi) this plays perfectly through movie maker. I cannot burn from project. It just seems that once coverted (which I seem to have to do to save movie) it freezes??? Please, any suggestions??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…