JVC Camcorder File Extension

russmini 09:43 22 Aug 08

Had my JVC Hard Drive Camcorder for 2 Years now and am still really pleased with it apart from ONE thing...

When it Saves the File to it's Hard Drive it gives the Extension of .MOD

Now Unfortunatly i am yet to Find Anything that can do Anything with the Files when that Extension is used. i.e.

I Can watch eveything in WMP, but...

I Cannot host onto Photobucket, Youtube etc.

Also Cannot make a Compilation Disk for people of the stuff i've Filmed.

This is using NERO, WMP, Google and lots of Others.

I did read that you can just Change the Extension to mpeg or other, but this also does Not work.

I understand it's actually Saved in Mpeg4 Format (think thats right).

So, Any Suggestions ?????

Thanks Russ.

ravingdave 12:31 22 Aug 08

Nero (specifically Nerovision) imports .MOD files directly, and allows them to be edited in the same way as any other source file. This can then be saved to a DVD. There is also a Nero application called 'recode' which will allow the video to be saved in a variety of video formats (for ipods etc), and I would think that this should allow the video to be put into a format suitable for upload to youtube. I've also used Ulead VideoStudio, which again allows .MOD files to be imported directly, edited, and saved in a number of different video formats.

ians12 08:17 04 Feb 09

I have found that just renaming these files only partly solves the problem. Renamed as *.mpg files they will play in WMP 11 and can be imported without changing the file extension into Windows Movie Maker (part of Windows). BUT... the aspect ratio is wrong, the recordings are 16:9 format but the playback in WMP for instance turns out to be 4:3. There is also an annoying distortion particularly on fast movement sequences.

To solve these problems the files need to be converted properly to mpg and the only program that I have found that does this with adjustment to aspect ratio so the picture is the correct width in WMP is AVS Video Converter.

click here

It also creates DVDs from files as well as converting to ipod and other formats.

Cheers.

beynac 11:59 04 Feb 09

Did you get any software with the camcorder? My wife's JVC Everio (bought Christmas 2008) came with Cyberlink PowerDirector Express, which converts the .mod 'clips' into movies. Cyberlink PowerProducer is then used to create DVDs etc.

I don't know whether the same software was used when you bought your camcorder, but I would be surprised if something similar was not included.

steven605 08:39 15 Jan 10

<a href="click here">Mod Converter</a> is a powerful MOD video converter which can convert MOD to AVI, MPG, MPEG, WMV and to other video format, such as MPEG-1, MPEG-2, ASF, DivX, XviD, MP4, VCD, SVCD, DVD-Video, VOB, DAT, RM, RMVB, MOV, QT, M4V, 3GP and so on. Batch conversion supported by the mod converter, you can add several.
<a href="click here">Tod Converter</a>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…