itunes can't see iPod nano - again!!

Chas 14:19 26 Jun 06

For the second time in as many weeks my nano has become invisible to itunes. The nano itself displays the DO NOT DISCONNECT message and sits there doing nothing while itunes fails to see it. Windows reports a "healthy" volume within Disk Management but it doesn't see a FAT32 volume, just a basic partition which it sees as empty - but it isn't, cos I can still see and listen to all the tunes that I have downloaded to the pod. I cured it last time by reformatting the ipod as FAT32 but this, of course, resulted in the loss of all of my music. Having spend a few days reinstating the music I now find, when trying to add some new material, that it has done it again! This is getting really boring. Does anyone know what causes this, or if there is a work-around or fix. The nano may be pretty but if it remains as unstable as it seems to be at present then it's pretty useless.

ade.h 16:51 26 Jun 06

Can you upgrade the firmware on iPods?

Chas 17:03 26 Jun 06

....only via iTunes, which can't see my iPod at the moment. This really is a pain in the proverbial.

ade.h 17:47 26 Jun 06

Catch 22!

Monument 14:33 27 Jun 06

You update the firmware through iPod updater NOT iTunes.

It will be in your Start/All Programs/Apple/iPod Updater.

Download the latest version from Apple and after install connect the iPod and run Updater.

Chas 17:05 27 Jun 06

..but just tried it again, to be sure. Updater (the latest version) just sits there with a message saying it's initialising and both the rest and restore buttons are greyed out, so I still can't access the pod via the PC to do anything.

Woops! just checked the window again and now it's offering a restore - which will delete all my songs! It's not offering reset. Now, I don't want to do this right now cos I'm off on my hols in a couple of days and I haven't got time to reload all my tunes again, but I'm pretty sure that even if I do push the restore button it will then come back to me with some sort of "can't connect to iPod" message anyway.

I've been down this road before.

ade.h 17:58 27 Jun 06

If you don't get any further with it, chuck it back to the retailer with a note attached to it. "Please replace my Nano with one that works" or something to that effect!

De Marcus™ 18:43 27 Jun 06

This is often a problem when disk mode is ticked in itunes or you choose to manually manage your songs as opposed to itunes automatically doing it for you. Annoying to say the least.

Chas 19:18 27 Jun 06

.....starting/restarting the PC with the pod plugged in might be the cause? I've noticed that PC startup hangs when the pod's connected. I'm wondering if that also causes a corruption in the pod that results in the problem described.

By the way I DO manage the pod manually - the library is far too big so I have to be selective. I need to try auto sync and find out what happens when I've got more stuff in the library than I can fit on the pod. Maybe it's the lesser of two evils?

Thanks all for your contributions so far.

Chas

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:25 28 Jun 06

Try using this instead of ITunes...... click here

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…