Is It a Copyright Conundrum?

morddwyd 21:42 08 Mar 17
Answered

I tried to buy a Kindle book last night, but was not able to do so.

|It was available in hardback, paper back and as an audiobook, bu not as a Kindle edition.

It was available from Amazon US but any attempt to purchase referred me to the UK site.

The book was just one in a series of two dozen or so (The Bolitho series by Alexander Kent) and is the only one not available in Kindle, so is it an obscure copyright restriction or something else?

I know the FE is a copyright buff!

Forum Editor 22:22 08 Mar 17

I think I have read the whole of the Bolitho series as kindle books - all except 'In the King's name'.

Perhaps if you tell me which one you were after I might be able to shed some light on the matter.

morddwyd 09:12 09 Mar 17

Thanks, FE. I knew you wouldn't let me down!

The title I'm trying to get is "Honour This Day", which covers Trafalgar, not a period you would really want to miss in an 18th/19th century naval narrative.

Forum Editor 09:33 09 Mar 17
Answer

The book appears to have been released as a kindle edition on the US site only, as you say.

Normally there would not be a copyright reason behind this, so I can only assume it's a publishing matter. The publishers (or the author) may have imposed the restriction, but I can't think of a reason for doing so. I suggest that you request a kindle version on the Amazon site - I imagine many others will have done the same thing.

morddwyd 19:22 09 Mar 17

Thanks. That would have been my next step anyway, I just thought I would try the forum first.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes