iPhone update out today!

Chris the Ancient 23 Nov 10

Apparently stops people grabbing your details if you are in the range of their wi-fi.

bremner 23 Nov 10

The update came out yesterday but I can see any reference to what you describe click here

Did you mean *can't* see any reference?

Anyway, it was on BBC Breakfast this morning with Rory Cellyn Jones - about the wi-fi bit.

bremner 23 Nov 10

Should have been can't - will look on BBC thanks

bremner 23 Nov 10

click here

It seems that the wifi issue is one that affects all smartphones and is packet sniffing.

The fix that is in OS4.2, Find My Iphone, allows for the iPhone to be remotely wiped if it is lost or stolen. This has been possible if you have a Mobile Me account since the 3gs was launched in 2009 - it is now available to everyone.

Hmmm... Being a newbie(ish) to the iPhone, I hadn't heard of the Find my iPhone app until you told me about it!

Now loaded into my iTunes and phone - in the hope I don't need it!

Chris the Ancient 24 Nov 10

I have found that 'Find My Phone' doesn't work on a iPhone 3 (as far as I can see) with OS 4.1.2 and then one needs a Mobile Me account (at a cost) even then.

But, a 2nd hand iPhone 3 was all a I could afford.

Oh well...

bremner 24 Nov 10

You are correct it only works on iPhone 4 unless you have a Mobile Me account

Chris the Ancient 25 Nov 10

Interesting!

I might try that later on today.

Condom 02 Jan 11

You could write what I know about mobiles on a pinhead but I bought myself an iPhone 4 in Bangkok several months ago after my existing mobile was stolen. At the time the iPhone4 was still not officially available in Thailand so what I purchased was one origially from the USA and it was unlocked so I could use it PAYG with the local 1 to Call provider.

I arrived back in the UK a month or so ago and switched my PAYG SIM card to my Orange PAYG one which the Thai people had cut down for me free. It worked well and I have no problems.

However everytime I plug it in to my PC it tells me that new software is available but I don't download this as I have been told it will relock my phone. Is this true or just scareware. The problem I would have if it was relocked is that I have no idea who the original provider would have been in the USA and I don't want to end up with the preverbial block of glass.

Any help would be much appreciated. I really don't use my phone much in the UK and I don't want to enter into any contracts.

Condom 10 Jan 11

Hi Beta
Yes there is an application called Cydia on my phone but I already knew my phone was jailbroken. What I really wanted to know is what would happen if I updated to the latest apple software as I have no idea which phone company in the USA the phone would have been connected with.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message