Internet Radio Recommendations

fontenay 09:04 13 Sep 07

I have poor reception on my normal radio, especially FM. I enjoy listening to BBC Radio 4 and 3 and wondered about buying an Internet Radio to work through my wireless connection. I don't want radio through the PC but need a stand alone set.
Can anyone recommend a good make?

Stuartli 09:14 13 Sep 07

There are a number of offerings:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

Personal preference is to listen to the Freeview equivalent via my Twinhan Freeview PCI TV card as you can listen to Terry Wogan etc and carry on surfing without affecting system performance.

fontenay 09:27 13 Sep 07

Thanks for the links Stuartii. What I am hoping for is a personal recommendation regarding the radio itself - I have heard various tales of poor performance and distracting humming with some radios.

Listening on the PC is not an option because I want to site the radio in the kitchen or bedroom.

TonyM 11:59 13 Sep 07

I have one of these from BT (currently on Special Offer)

click here

...very pleased with it. We have it in our Kitchen where we had a very poor FM signal and it has been very good.

They are not perfect though - you do need a decent WiFi signal, and there are occasional glitches at the server end ...they use a portal system run by Reciva to work (click here)have a look at their user forums to get other recommendations.

dagbladet 13:34 13 Sep 07

I could well be barking up the wrong tree here, but if so just ignore me.

Could you not achieve the same result with a DAB radio?

There is a dedicated BBC DAB Radio page which includes a postcode DAB coverage checker here click here

If so Argos for example have a whole range of DAB radios starting at £25 here click here

fontenay 14:14 13 Sep 07

Thanks TonyM - that looks interesting.

dagbladet - I'm afraid DAB is the same - I receive very poor reception.

dagbladet 14:20 13 Sep 07

Fair enough.

laurie53 08:19 18 Sep 07

I think I know the answer, but just want to be sure - do these build up on any download limit you have?

fontenay 18:07 19 Sep 07

Thanks everyone for the help. I bought a Logik IR100 at the fantastic price of £39.99 from Currys. After several days of sheer frustration trying to set it up I realised that it did not like WEP key incription on the router. However, when I changed to a WAP key the radio connected and is working fine.
This is the first time I have been able to receive clear radio since I moved here a year ago!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…