Internal aerials

Bald Eagle 18:48 25 Nov 07

I have satellite Freeview and have noticed that other people using an ordinary aerial and set top box get channels that are blocked by Sky via satellite. Has anyone used an indoor booster aerial connected to a set top box and what results are obtainable? I don't want to go down the line of fitting an external aerial! I believe there is a site that will tell you your digital reception strength via post code.

BE

amonra 19:01 25 Nov 07

If you use an indoor aerial then you cannot guarantee what kind of reception you will get. The signal strength will vary depending on whether someone walks in front of the aerial, whether the cat does his business over it, it's open to all sorts of trouble. Have a chat with some of your neighbours to see what sort of reception they get. If they can receive a GOOD analogue signal from a small aerial then it looks promising. Perhaps it would be possible to fit an external aerial to a bracket outside a bedroom window ??? Good luck.

Coffee Adict 19:14 25 Nov 07

Can't help you with the aerial, but I can say a litter tray works fine for the cat.:)

Stuartli 14:04 27 Nov 07

There is no such thing as satellite Freeview as it's digital terrestial broadcasting (DTV) i.e. it picks up digital signals via a normal television aerial.

I have one roof top wideband TV aerial which, using two aerial amplifiers, supplies the main LCD TV and VCR; a Freeview set top box linked to a 21in television and a Freeview PCI TV card in my computer system.

See:

click here

for reviews of two highly rated indoor TV aerials.

Stuartli 14:05 27 Nov 07

They are normally available from Argos.

natdoor 16:00 28 Nov 07

I assume, Bald Eagle, that the service you have is Freesat. I thought that it provided similar channels to Freeview but have not checked.

If you wish to add a Freeview facility with an indoor antenna, I suggest that you check signal coverage at click here . However, they tend to be rather pessimistic. My area shows no coverage but I am able to receive all channels with very occasional pixelation and drop outs using my old narrow-band antenna with a mast-head amplifier. I would recommend that you either borrow a STB and antenna or purchase with a right to return within, say, 14 days so that you can check reception. I bought my STB from Currys on this basis.

Stuartli 23:43 28 Nov 07

Another good source of information about Freeview reception are your local aerial installation companies.

gibfish26 16:40 29 Nov 07

i tried indoor aerial as suggested by stuartli,the model i tried was the telecom 2001 at £19.99 from argos,but it only picked up a few channels so took it back and got refund,so i put a splitter in my existing out door aerial,perfect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now