Indoor aerial.

alan2273 23:17 05 Aug 09

I have just purchased a Toshiba Regza 22AV615DB and I would like some advice on a good indoor aerial for access to freeview.

Stuartli 00:29 06 Aug 09

Do you mean a loft or portable TV type?

If the latter then I would forget it unless you have a particularly good signal.

alan2273 08:09 06 Aug 09

Ok, thanks for that advice.

Stuartli 09:49 06 Aug 09

The only decent indoor TV aerial I've come across is the one I bought for the other half's bedroom TV:

click here (£10 at Argos)

However, even though we can see Winter Hill from up the road (it's about 15 miles away), I still had to tune the Freeview STB's channels using the main TV aerial feed before connection to the bedroom set.

Al94 11:34 06 Aug 09

Having been quoted what I thought was a crazy price for a digital aerial to replace the old one on my chimney, I went to Homebase, bought a huge wideband aerial which was on offer at £24, mounted it in the loft and get all channels perfectly. It does depend where you live.

Confab 12:53 06 Aug 09

There is no such thing as a "digital aerial". It's a term used to con people into upgrading.

Stuartli 13:39 06 Aug 09

The correct term is a wideband aerial; original analogue aerials were, of course, narrowband.

Until your area undergoes the digital switchover at the transmitter, digital signal strengths are but a fraction of analogue.

Winter Hill, for instance, has digital signal strength of 1/87th that of analogue.

However, when the switchover occurs at the end of this year, we are promised HD transmissions; this will require new STBs or TVs, but my six-year-old Twinhan PCI Freeview TV card is HD compatible..:-)

oresome 14:04 06 Aug 09

Aerials can be either narrow or wide band, whether analogue or digitally approved.

The log periodic is the classic design of wideband aerial, used by caravanners who tour the country and are never sure of the channel spacings they will encounter.

The wider the bandwidth, the lower the gain however.

Digitally approved aerials will have improved noise immunity due to the use of a balun which was rarely if ever fitted to older designs.

Stuartli 15:43 06 Aug 09

The reason I had a wideband aerial fitted was because when I bought an ONDigital STB 11 years ago the middle channel numbers could not be picked up.

It cost me £51 and a few pence and that was a special rate from an aerial fitter friend.

karmgord 20:17 06 Aug 09

unless you live next door to a transmitter,an indoor aerial is unlikely to produce a sufficient signal strength for freeview

alan2273 21:54 06 Aug 09

Thanks to everyone for there input.
As we are having an extension built, I will get the builder to run a cable to the extension so no indoor aerial will be needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…