I am looking for a digital SLR

johndrew 11:48 06 Apr 09

camera that will take the lenses from my Minolta SR101b 35mm SLR camera. I have several and replacements with different fittings would be quite expensive.

Basically I need to move from film to digital images but would like, if possible, to use the lenses I have for the Minolta on its replacement.

Has anyone any knowledge of a decent digital SLR that the lenses will fit?

Many thanks in anticipation.

ventanas 11:53 06 Apr 09

Minolta was acquired by Sony, and I believe they retained the lens mount for their Alpha series of DSLR's.
Before buying though I would verify this for yourself.

ventanas 11:55 06 Apr 09
  johndrew 14:58 06 Apr 09

Thanks very much for your responses people. From the press release it looks as if I may be in luck with the lens mount, but as recommended, I shall take a lens with me to be certain.

Many thanks again.

Stuartli 00:29 07 Apr 09

Don't forget that any film camera lens is equivalent to a focal length of x1.5 on a digital camera alternative.

ventanas 12:24 07 Apr 09

Don't forget that any film camera lens is equivalent to a focal length of x1.5 on a digital camera alternative.

Sorry, but no it isn't. What you see is a crop factor that shows a field of view which is approximately equal to that of a lens 1.5x the focal length on a 35mm camera. There is no telephoto gain. A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens no matter what camera it's on. It's all down to the size of the sensor in the DSLR.

Stuartli 17:42 07 Apr 09

That's why I used the word equivalent - some people use their film camera lenses on a digital SLR.

Or, as you put it, "..that shows a field of view which is approximately equal to that of a lens 1.5x the focal length on a 35mm camera."

aquatarkus 10:36 10 Apr 09

Sorry but your totally wrong, if you take a 50mm lens that is / was designed for a film slr or a full frame dslr then yes the lens will still be 50mm but stick that same lens on a dslr with a 1.5 crop factor (Nikon) and that 50mm lens becomes a 75mm lens,if you put it on a Canon which has a 1.6 crop factor it will become a 80mm lens if you were to us it via an adaptor on to the olympus 4/3 system which is a 2 x crop factor that lens will be not 50mm but 100mm. but if you by lenses that are designed for APS-C size sensors then the crop factor either 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 2.0 is already factored into the lens design. but if johndrew takes him old Minolta mount lenses and puts them on the Sony Alpha range of cameras the focal lengths WILL be X 1.5. so prime lenses will become
28mm = 42mm
35mm = 52.5mm
50mm = 75mm
100mm = 150mm
135mm = 202mm
a typical zoom lens will become
70 - 210mm = 105 - 315mm

hope that clears up the misinformation

have a good look on the forums at click here

Stuartli 11:51 10 Apr 09

Some info on Minolta to Sony Alpha plus adapter links:

click here

click here

click here

Plenty more.

Kemistri 20:44 10 Apr 09

What ventanas means, quite correctly, is that focal length is an absolute measurement. So that lengthy and poorly typed explanation was both misleading and moot.

ventanas 22:20 10 Apr 09

Please do not post such rubbish. You obviously do not have the smallest idea what you are talking about. I have not looked at your link because I do not need to.
Just get it into your head THERE IS NO FOCAL LENGTH GAIN. Just an image that covers a smaller field of view.
If you do not believe me do this: Place two cameras side by side, one 35mm film and one DSLR. Fit each with the same focal length lens and photograph the same scene. Process the film and scan the negative. Crop it to the same size as the digital image. You will have identical photos. The digtal image will be the same as the 35mm. No focal length gain. So please don't continue to misinform.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…