how to shrink a 16gb AVI file to fit a DVD?

kenwyn 09:36 02 Oct 07

I have spent the last few weeks editing and converting a 17 yr old video of my grandfather talking about his life. I have added extra photo inserts and transitions etc, using Adobe Premier Pro. Then I have converted the whole 145min extravaganza, to an AVI file. This is just over 16gb. I am trying to use Nero Vision to put it onto DVD, but, of course it sees the file as far too big for a std DVD, so shrinks it down to a long play 3.8Gb file, which then degrades all the work I have done to improve the quality of the source tape. Was the mistake saving it as an AVI file in Adobe? or should I be using other software to preserve the quality whilst still being able to record on to a standard 4.7Gb DVD?

Al94 09:46 02 Oct 07

This will do it and it's free click here

kenwyn 10:03 02 Oct 07

Thanks for the link...its so far taken me to 4 different pages, each extolling the virtues of "Super"& inviting me to download it -without making it clear ANYWHERE where to actually download from!! - doesn't bode well for the actual software?!

Marko797 10:22 02 Oct 07

I tried the link too kenwyn, & couldn't get the download. I gave up.

Al94 10:29 02 Oct 07

It is a bit hard to spot the download and use link click here

Al94 10:31 02 Oct 07

alternatively click here

Marko797 10:35 02 Oct 07

The 2nd link worked when I clicked the mirror site download.
The 1st link however just seems to loop around after pressing Download at the btm of the page. Thnx for sorting it.

ArrGee 11:05 07 Oct 07

This is the method I use, it's free and easy. Download AutoGK from click here

Once open, you simply then open your original file as the input,, tell the program where you want to store the reduced version, then select the final file size you want.

kenwyn 09:09 23 Oct 07

by simply disconnecting it from the PC, then connecting it using the VGA in socket which the PC normally goes into. The monitor has built-in speakers which I have never utilised, but they may well be able to supply the sound. The only 'unknown'would be making the physical connection between the two..

Terry Brown 14:25 23 Oct 07

Why reduce Quality, Use a program like Video Splitter click here and split it into 4 DVD's at the best quality you have.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…