how to remove file that does not exist on microsd?

theDarkness 12:22 PM 20 Mar 11

after what I think was a bad save on a nokia (a switch off during the process), I am trying to remove the same file that shows up on a microsd card, but when trying to remove it, windows states that the files do not exist? The nokia software also gives a similar message, do I have no option but to re-format the entire card?

Kevscar1 15:13 PM 20 Mar 11

reformat the card

theDarkness 21:38 PM 23 Mar 11

I tried that, it does work, but I often have the same issue reappearing, so Im wondering if the card is likely to be on its last legs. I have a digital phone+digital camera, and have tried the card on both (fully formatting before trying either). All files save correctly, eg when taking photos and then viewing the file system (using either a pc or the screen of either) it might show :-
Photograph2.tif etc

but often I will get "Photogr.aph3" together with the correct "Photograph3.tif" which is very odd. Its not as if the photo hasnt saved correctly, as I can move the tif to a pc and view or edit it on its own. The oddly named file remains undeletable. The memory card is a sandisk sdhc, which Im now thinking may simply be corrupt, reformatted/empty or not

Kevscar1 16:10 PM 25 Mar 11

Try right clicking the file and looking at properties but it does sound as if the card might be corrupted if reformattimg doesn't stop it

theDarkness 23:29 PM 25 Mar 11

I think u r right in the card being corrupt, if a non-quick reformat does not fix the issue, then Im wondering if I have no option but to simply bin it? The problem most likely occurred if the card was taken out mid read/write

Kevscar1 03:43 AM 26 Mar 11

Why bin it all the photos are being saved. Keep using it but have a spare ready for when it packs up completely. You may be able to use it for years yet.

cycoze 16:52 PM 27 Mar 11

try renaming the file from "Photogr.aph3" to "Photograph3.tif" or "Photograph3b.tif", then see if it will delete.

JoeC 18:27 PM 28 Mar 11

but it worked for me when I had exactly the same problem.
If memory serves me correctly I did it this way:- right click on card, select Properties, Tools, Error Checking, Check Now.
A box came up and I put ticks in both boxes (Automatically fix file system errors, and Scan for / attempt to recovery bad sectors).
Once I had done that, the card worked perfectly.
I hope it works for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…