How to email DVD recording ?

setecio 17:12 02 May 08

How can I email a (compressed version of an) hour standard home DVD ?

I assume it consists of the usual .vob files and would need converted and compressed by some software (hopefully free).

I would like to compres it as much as possible, and in format to play on the windows XP PC at the other end. If they need to download some free playing software (eg divX to allow compression) then please advise.

Thanks.

ashdav 17:36 02 May 08

try one of these click here've used you send myself and it works ok.

setecio 20:34 02 May 08

ashdav's link got corrupted, should be click here

mmm, yes maybe too big to email, time to think again.

OK, how about uploading to youtube, but do youtube allow you to password protect private content ?

Stuartli 23:48 02 May 08

Providing your recipient has the H264 codec installed, you could try converting the DVD file to that standard using:

click here

The conversion is remarkably quick and will, for instance, reduce a 1.1GB file to around 190MB with no loss of quality either sound or display wise.

I use this method to reduce TV recordings from a Freeview PCI TV card to manageable proportions when burning to CD=R disks; however, you can only show the results on a computer system.

ICF 07:50 03 May 08

How do you use this compression H264 method?

setecio 07:50 03 May 08

Thanks for that Stuart. Do you know if it works directly on .vob file (I read that I an just rename .vob files to .mpg files ?)

and what software would be required on an XP machine to play the resultant H.264 fomat or does it work with Windows media player/realtime/quicktime ?

Stuartli 09:16 03 May 08

If you read my posting again, you will realise that the 190MB figure is an example of how much a particular sized original file can be reduced.

setecio

If you download QuickTime 7 or the Standard or Full K-Lite audio and codecs pack, the H264 codec is included (you also need it on the system being used to play back tracks).

I use the Shell Compress 1.5 method to shrink TV recordings made using a Freeview PCI TV card to fit on a CD-R without losing sound or vision quality.

I play them back on my system as necessary.

ICF 09:17 03 May 08

Ok got it working now:-)

jack 14:44 04 May 08

Snail-Mail come into its own ;-}

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…