High Definition

spliffmonkey 17:30 24 May 07

Hi there,

Can anyone explain the likely impact (if not already) of this on home computers?

Will I be able to watch HD on my computer monitor via a connection to HD source, or HD disc drive (via my pc)?

Can you download HD content on a pc to view on a computer monitor?

Whilst I (kind of) understand the definition of HD is the amount of pixels populated on a screen, I have yet to fully understand the impact this will have on my PC and would like to know this before I begin forking out on HD DVD players or DVDs etc...

Does anyone think that movies (like music) will quickly flip to a hard disc format and maybe skip Blue ray / HDDVD altogether?

Thoughts and opinions welcome...

Thanks

Matthew

Stuartli 19:46 24 May 07

The Twinhan PCI Freeview card I have on my computer system is HD compatible if and when it would become available on DTB (bit doubtful at the moment.)

However, the Twinhan's display on a Freeview TV channel is quite stunning on my 21in CRT monitor - just as good as on a new LCD TV and with excellent detail.

Stuartli 19:47 24 May 07

I regularly watch HD Sly transmissions on a friend's 42in Toshiba LCD TV set - the amount of extra detail revealed is quite astonishing.

spliffmonkey 09:16 25 May 07

Thanks - anyone any thoughts on whether HD content will skip the next generation of DVDs and more staright to hard discs?

What is HD Sly by the way?

Cheers
Matthew

Stuartli 13:27 25 May 07

Should be Sky - you need the HD box, however, to receive HD transmissions and, of course, it costs.....

oresome 17:48 07 Oct 09

High definition has becomecome necessary because of the increase in TV screen sizes since flat panel technology.

I don't know what size your PC monitor is, but I think it would have to way above the average for HD to make much difference.

TV sizes of 37" and above for it to be noticeable seems to be the rule of thumb for viewing at normal distances in a living room. Perhaps you'd see the difference close up with a slightly smaller screen, but I'm not sure I'd want to be 18" away from a largish screen as I am with a PC monitor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac