Help! What Speaker package should I get with my budget?

DamonSmith 11:54 17 Apr 14

Firstly, the use of my system, I watch a lot of movies mainly via external hdd in mkv format, strictly 1080p and dts sound. In my spare time, I love to listen to music normally R&B/Hip Hop/Rap with a lot of beats/bass, I like to listen to it pretty loud and the Sony I mention below didn't do it for me.

I'm moving from the 'Sony BDV-E3100 1000W' All-In-One system, which is pretty crap I've had it for about a week and turned it up to full on the first day of use and it's pretty useless for me.

I firstly had my eyes set on the 'Yamaha YHT-199' system which is out of stock at the moment at my nearest retailer but it should be back soon, I can get that for £200 retail OR 1 month used one for £170.

My budget was £200 before, but now is £300 but I really do want something worth my money at that price, I know it's low.

I now have my eyes on a Yamaha RX-V375 AV for £150 and Tannoy SFX 5.1 Speakers for £150 so together £300. Now, is these two priced together at £300 better than the Yamaha YHT-199 priced at £200?

It's rather unfortunate I initially wanted the Yamaha RX-V473 AV which is the same price as the RX-V375 but it was missing the Microphone and Remote.

The RX-V375 and SFX 5.1 for £300 or YHT-199 for £200, which one is more worthy of my money?

Please advise, thanks in advance.

Below I've added some links for the equipment mentioned above, thanks.

click here

http://www.tannoy.com/ResidentialSummary.aspx?q=66.284 http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx-v375_g/?mode=model http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx-v473_g/?mode=model

DamonSmith 11:58 17 Apr 14

If the above is too long for you I've put it simply below.

The Yamaha RX-V375 and Tannoy SFX 5.1 for £300 or Yamaha YHT-199 for £200, which one is more worthy of my money?

aquatarkus 14:20 17 Apr 14

Hi there, seem to have seen this request or one very very similar on the AVforums site.

The better option would be the Yamaha RX-V375 and the Tannoy SFX 5.1 set up.

For £300 going to be very hard to beat, one thing that does worry me though your statement "I turned it up to full, on the first day of use" systems aren't designed to be run at full power, especially an all in one like the Sony. Can only think that the sound was terrible and very distorted. If you do get the Yamaha RX-V375 and the Tannoy package make sure you run the Yamaha YPAO set up with the microphone.

Please also remember that the Tannoy speakers though good won't like being driven at extremely high volumes. You say you like Rap / Hip Hop / R & B these speakers and a/v amp are more suited to films that musical reproduction (actually not sure that is anything musical about rap & hip hop) to get the same musical quality from an a/v package as say a £300 stereo system you would need to spend at least £1200 - £1500. Something like the following would blow the Yamaha and Tannoy package out of the water for musical reproduction Amp Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 £119.99 Speakers Mission M33i £119.99 CD player Cambrige Audio CD5 V4 £119.99

Ok its £360 but will absolutely blow the Yamaha / Tannoy system out of the water for music reproduction.

Maybe better to save up a bit more say £500 - £600 or just go for a better a/v amp and a pair of floor standers and add the sub and rear speaker as funds allow.

Regards Aquatarkus

aquatarkus 14:30 17 Apr 14

Oh yes and one final point the Sony isn't 1000watts.

That's its peak music power and is a very very misleading figure the actual watts per channel of the Sony system is 75 (3 ohms) The 3 ohms figure is how they can quote 75 watts F + R and 250 watts for the sub. Sony really should know better, but all of the manufacturers of these all in one systems do the same. the power supply fitted to the unit will never manage 1000 watts. Just look at some of the large Sony a/v receivers look at the spec's then look at the sizes of the power supplies, gives you an idea why most a/v receivers are so large

Regards Aquatarkus

mart7 14:51 17 Apr 14

I have to agree the yamaha rx375 and the tannoy 5.1 system is the best choice,yamaha gear is excellent,quality gear,tannoys produce a tight sound very clear,and i have to agree regarding playing music through this its more cinema orientated but it would easily sound superior to the sony

there's only one way to listen to music and thats using quality hifi components as has been pointed out

DamonSmith 19:53 21 Apr 14

I've got my AV, it's the RX-V475.

Now I just need Speakers and I want to make the right decision, I will probably get them from Richer Sounds so I have a 14 day exchange policy.

But, I'm stuck between the Tannoy SFX 5.1 or

I've got my AV, it's the Yamaha RX-V475.

Now I just need Speakers and I want to make the right decision before buying. I will probably be buying them from Richer Sounds, so I have a 14 day exchange policy if I decide I don't like the sound.

I'm stuck between the Tannoy SFX 5.1 or Wharfedale MS-100 HCP, links below with detailed specs.

click here is ohms to think about which I'm not too sure, I think if I was pairing Speakers with a Yamaha RX-V375 I should look for 4 ohms Speakers, right?

I've got the RX-V475 so I should look for maybe 6 ohms Speakers? Which means the Tannoy's would probably trimph.

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=36

There

DamonSmith 19:54 21 Apr 14

^ I'm not too sure what happend there some sort of bug, make of it what you will and answer plz.

DamonSmith 20:01 21 Apr 14

I've got my AV, it's the RX-V475.

Now I just need Speakers and I want to make the right decision, I will probably get them from Richer Sounds so I have a 14 day exchange policy.

But, I'm stuck between the Tannoy SFX 5.1 or

I've got my AV, it's the Yamaha RX-V475.

Now I just need Speakers and I want to make the right decision before buying. I will probably be buying them from Richer Sounds, so I have a 14 day exchange policy if I decide I don't like the sound.

I'm stuck between the Tannoy SFX 5.1 or Wharfedale MS-100 HCP, links below with detailed specs.

click here is ohms to think about which I'm not too sure, I think if I was pairing Speakers with a Yamaha RX-V375 I should look for 6 ohms Speakers, right?

I've got the RX-V475 so I should look for maybe 8 ohms Speakers?

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=36

There

aquatarkus 18:57 22 Apr 14

Hi there Think have managed to work out what you meat to post. You have brought the Yamaha RX-V475 a/v receiver, whilst the speakers Tannoy SFX 5.1 or the Wharfedale MS100-HCP will work my point about music reproduction will still stand. The Yamaha deserves better speakers than both of those systems. I would suggest you have a loo at something like these click here these click here i would go the 2.1 route and get a good set of front speakers and sub woofer then add the rears when funds allow perhaps something like these click here this sub click here more expensive but much better than the small satellite type units of the Tannoy or the Wharfedale.

If you don't limit yourself to Richersounds these would be a good musical match for the Yamaha as a set of fronts click here this as a sub click here Hyperfi don't seem to have the matching centre channel speaker but this one would match in sonic terms click here Yamaha amp will be ok with speakers in the 6 to 8 ohms range, so any i have linked to will work.

Please remember that you should really audition the speakers yourself with your a/v receiver, as what sounds good to one person can be horrendous to another.

Regards Aquatarkus

or Personally and yes and unfortunately The

aquatarkus 20:05 22 Apr 14

Hi there again, please excuse my spelling meat should of course read as meant loo should read as look

Not sure where the words after my user name came from, appears having the same issue you were when posting.

Regards Aquatarkus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac