Help needed choosing the right phone

catballou 13:03 20 Jun 14

Hi, I am not particularly knowledgeable about mobile phones ( I know a bit from my recent research!) and I am looking for a phone ASAP for my teenage daughters birthday. We are on a fairly tight budget and from my research It looks like the Moto G is a good option which ticks most of the boxes but I am concerned about the camera quality. She is by no means a pro photographer but I know she would like a decent quality camera. Does anyone know which budget type phone has the best camera for the money? Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:26 20 Jun 14

I think you have done your research well, the Moto G has a decent camera, the best in that budget range, is well built and an excellent screen.

catballou 13:47 20 Jun 14

Thank you Fruit Bat. Do you know if there is anything with a better camera if I go a bit higher in price, say up to £200?

Alternatively, I see Amazon has the Galaxy S3 for just a bit over £200. I don't really want to go over the £200 but if it makes a huge difference it might be worth pushing the boat out. Any thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:59 20 Jun 14

you need to look at the phone as a package as you could scarifice one thing in favour of another.

Ffor example "the Xperia U has a 5-megapixel sensor with a decent lens and a physical camera button, not to mention a nifty user interface that's lifted straight from its bigger brother. This creates a camera experience that's premium and rounds off the phone incredibly when considering the price." However only has 8G storage and not expandable, where are the photos music etc. going to be stored.

Your daughter is the one who's going to use it and needs to be happy with it.

It may spoil the surprise but could save a lot of problems later by just asking what she wants.

Remember kids know ore about these things than us parents.

catballou 15:40 20 Jun 14

Thank you - Oddly these days, she doesn't know that much about them.:)

catballou 15:45 20 Jun 14

I wrote more but it doesn't seem to have shown up here- anyway- She says she wants a good camera (she knows it wont be top of the range) and for it to be able to use apps (that's any "smartphone" isn't it?). Thinking about it though, the apps take memory and a I am guessing, a decent processor, so my options for compromising are getting slim :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 20 Jun 14

Then the S3 is a good choice £210 On Amazon (blue) fiver more if you want white.

QuizMan 18:12 21 Jun 14

"She says she wants a good camera". In that case the Moto G is not the one. The camera is its biggest let-down. Shame really because in all other respects it is a fine phone. I should know; I've got one!

catballou 18:43 21 Jun 14

Yes that is exactly what had me so disappointed from what I was reading about it. In every other aspect it was perfect-especially for me was the price.

Fruit Bat said the S3 and I admit to having had it in my amazon "basket" for some time now but just haven't been able to press the buy it button as I was trying to keep the price down lower than that if possible. The S3 so far seems to be the best option but is a little more than I wanted to pay.

However, as far as I can tell, none of the "budget" phones have a decent camera. I have not been able to find any which is why I popped on to this site, just in case someone knew of one.

Our daughter has a horse and every time she is out with him she ends up taking rubbish pics with her old phone but she doesn't want the hassle of having to take her regular camera and phone too whenever she goes out on him, so a phone with good camera was the ideal thing for her....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant