HDTV TV card?

pharreezy 19:16 24 Jan 07

I currently have a Hauppauge WinTV Theatre Pro (or something like that) TV card, which connected to my Sky plus box with just a regular arial cable.

I now have a Sky HDTV box, is it possible to connect that to my PC so I'm able to capture TV shows in the best definition possible or at least watch on my PC? If HDTV TV cards do exist, what one should I get?

Please help, thanks!

Stuartli 19:54 24 Jan 07

My 15-month-old Twinhan Freeview DTB-ter D+A PCI card is HD compatible (now no longer in production), which is one of the reasons why it's popular in Australia where HD TB has been around for a while in many states.

In actual fact, with my 21in monitor normally set at 1152x864 resolution, the detail in Freeview transmissions is remarkable, even though the digital signals are converted back to analogue form (analogue CRT monitor).

I guess that much of this is due to the non-interlaced display of the monitor compared to that of a standard TV set.

pharreezy 20:06 24 Jan 07

Yeah I did consider Freeview but the trouble is, in the UK the freeview HD channels are limited, and I pay for a subscription but I'd like to be able to watch the subscription I pay for on my PC.

Or would that be possible with a HD Freeview PCI card like the one you mentioned?

Also with my Sky HD box, I think I would need to connect it to the PCI card with an RF Lead. So what are the quality on those? Is it possible to connect with a composite cable?

Stuartli 20:09 24 Jan 07

Not sure about the Sky box as I've never used one. The manual should state the various connection methods available.

However, if you did have to use RF you would be best using the highest quality cable.

But this is just assumption on my part.

Stuartli 20:10 24 Jan 07

There have only been very limited HD Freeview trial transmissions in the UK - however, once the analogue transmissions have fully ceased in 2012 more bandwidth will be available for such purposes.

Stuartli 20:14 24 Jan 07
  pharreezy 20:20 24 Jan 07

Oh awesome I didn't know that, thats something to look forward to!

Sorry I should have explained better... I didn't mean the actual Sky HD box, I know the connections available from the box:

RF lead
Composite
HDMI (Well I'm already using that one for my TV)
Scart
RS 232 (Not sure what this does?)

What I meant was, do you know of any TV/HD Freeview cards that will work with any of those connections so that I can watch and capture the Sky HD content on my PC (in highest possible quality)?

Stuartli 20:40 24 Jan 07

You need something on these lines:

click here

pharreezy 20:49 24 Jan 07

Great, thank you :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5