HDML vs SCART

john bunyan 19:27 PM 06 Feb 11

I have a Sony TV with 2 SCART inputs and one HDMI. My Panasonic DVD recorder has one SCART and one HDMI outputs. When the SCART is connected and I select Timer/ EPG or Navigator (Recoded shows) on the Recorder, the SCART / TV auto detects to AV1 and I can select a show to record or watch without having to manually select AV1 on the TV. If I link the two by HDMI, the auto detect feature does not work but if I manually select AV4 on the TV I can do as above. Is there a way of ensuring the HDMI /TV auto detects input from the DVD recorder?

BRYNIT 21:28 PM 06 Feb 11

If your Sony TV has the SMARTLINK feature and if your Panasonic DVD recored has a similar program they should communicate with one another via the HDMI cable. You will need to look through the instruction manual.

I have a Samsung TV and a Sony DVD/HD recorder that have no problems communicating with each other.

john bunyan 22:19 PM 06 Feb 11

Thanks. I will study the manuals tomorrow.

dwaynedibbly 00:01 AM 07 Feb 11

I`ve been trawling this forum for some time now. It still amazes/confuses me why this question continues too come up, and on a fairly regular basis.
Its simple. If your kit has got HDMI...then connect it via that interface.
Its a bit like saying...I`ve got an HD video cam but will I get the same result if I use my VHS JVD video cam.
HDMI has superseded Scart.
Dont try and connect both.
The first thing I did when I bought HDMI kit, was chuch the scart cables in the bin.
Simple.

dwaynedibbly 00:02 AM 07 Feb 11

chuch = chuck.

john bunyan 12:46 PM 07 Feb 11

I an fully aware of the advantages of HDMI thank you, and would not connect both. The fact is that the auto feature I mentioned does not yet work with HDMI and as this is a bedroom TV (26") the difference in picture quality is slight - unlike the DVD vs VHS issue. I too trawl the forums but this feature / problem is a new one. NOT simple.

john bunyan 18:03 PM 08 Feb 11

Thanks all. I have read the manuals but for some reason there should be an HDMI entry on ome of the menus - but it only shows under AV4. The shop says only SCART has the auto feature. I will tick as resoved and will try suggestions. If I have to I will just manually select AV4.

BRYNIT 19:02 PM 08 Feb 11

Some of the smaller TV do not have the auto switch on the HDMI. If you supply the model number I'll have a read you never know I may find something you may have missed.

john bunyan 19:27 PM 08 Feb 11

Thanks very much.TV model Sony KDL 26L40xx; DVDr Panasonic DMR-EX75EB. JB
This is a bedroom TV so not a huge problem. Downstairs I have a matching pair of TV and DVDr from Pioneer, sadly no longer in production..

BRYNIT 00:14 AM 09 Feb 11

The only manual I could find for the Sony TV was for the KDL 26L4000 I assume it the same one.

Sony uses smart link and Panasonic calls it Q link.

Now if both units are capable of using these programs you will need to turn them on before anything will work.

With the Sony look in setup/HDMI setup if smart link is available you will have the option to turn it on.

With the Panasonic it should be in Setup/HDMI settings

If you look under HDMI setup in both manuals it should give you more info.

john bunyan 08:47 AM 09 Feb 11

Thanks again, I will follow it up. In future will endeavour to buy equipment from the same source!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…