HDMI but no sound!

numskull 10:41 01 Aug 07

I have a Sony DVPNS76 DVD player and have recently bought HDMI cables. I am not getting a picture but telly only has DVI D connection and all I am getting is the odd piece of text flashing up. I was expecting that as I did not think the telly was HDCP. However, I would have thought that I could still receive sound via the Sony ST 1000 amplifier. HDMI is lighting up in the display window but if I disconnect the coaxial cable the sound disappears.
What am I doing wrong?

numskull 14:10 01 Aug 07

I know but I am not getting sound through the amp which is HDMI - HDMI. I think that I have read that the amp needs a repeater on it otherwise you still need to connect either a coaxial or digital optical cable. Not sure why.

Stuartli 14:35 01 Aug 07

You will need to use a digital audio optical cable for sound judging by the machine's specifications:

click here

Pity it isn't straight HDMI as the sound side is up to eight channels of digital sound...:-(

numskull 09:06 02 Aug 07

The amp is actually a Sony HTSF 1000. I think the problem is because the telly will not accept the HDCP signal (must be an old fashioned DVI connection for attaching a computer).
According to the manual the sound will only go through to the telly but the amp will play surround sound but only by muting the telly speakers.

anskyber 12:55 02 Aug 07

DVI is ONLY video, it will not carry sound so an HDMI to DVi will not do for you as ├četa has indicated above. You will need to feed sound though separate connectors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…