HD/High Definition On A PC

pchelper001 20:16 17 Apr 09

This has been niggling at me for a while, and I thought I would ask here, even though it is probably a bit of a silly question ;)

The BBC are going to start broadcasting iPlayer in HD, so that people can stream and download HD content directly to their PC's. I have also seen a range of drives that play Blu-ray and the like, in HD. But what I would like to know, is do you have to have a HD output on your computer, and then such a HD input on your monitor to be able to see it in full HD? This might be a total pain in the bum for me, as I haven't got either of these connections, and I probably have to now fork out some more money to HD enable my computer, straight after I have set up my Telly with SKY HD etc.

Any views or explanations are welcome :) thanks

OTT_Buzzard 20:38 17 Apr 09

If you have a DVI connector from your PC to your monitor then you will be able to transfer HD. You will also need the right codecs installed and a hardware in your PC that can process HD video. If you can post your PC specs it will be easy eough to find out (famous last words!)

john bunyan 13:56 18 Apr 09

HD will use a lot of memory - if you go for freesat and a dish, I thing over 5 gig per hour, or more. I have a XP Media centre edition with a built in tuner but believe I would need an uprated one for HD Happuage (my suppiler) make them but I thought there was only one HD channel, so it did not seem worth changing. Also I thought of getting a Blu Ray recorder for the PC to burn HD programmes, but decided in the end it was not worth it yet. Probably best, if you have Sky to pay for their HD (Iwas surprised to be told in Currys today they have 30 HD channels, but I am not sure this is true.)No stand alone Blu Ray available in UK yet. I also thought of freesat with Humax HD PVR, cant face the cabling though!!

OTT_Buzzard 14:20 18 Apr 09

No tuner card is needed for iPlayer. The files they currently have available are nigh on HD standard anyway (they're avi files at the moment).
I can't imagine that they will go away from this format for higher definition. It will probs just be a different codec.

There are a couple of HD channels available on freesat (BBC HD and ITV HD) with more due this year, including Channel 4 HD when thir contract with BSkyB has expired.
I've got a cheap satellite card in my PC downstairs, but it does struggle with the HD channels. Hauppage is likely to be the way forward.

Stuartli 15:04 18 Apr 09

My Twinhan PCI Freeview TV tuner card is five or six years old, yet is HD compatible - this was the reason it was already very popular in Australia.

I have my 21in CRT monitor at a resolution of 1152x864 and Freeview transmissions are exceptionally clear - I can comfortably read the text on most newspaper shots in the Press Preview programmes on Sky News and BBC News.

This is not as easy on my 26in LCD TV, sharp and clear though it is.

pchelper001 10:49 20 Apr 09

I now have a full understanding of HD on my comp. Cheers for all your input guys, and thanks for the quick responses, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, had to grab this comp quickly!

anchor 16:25 20 Apr 09

john bunyan: Yes, you were told correctly. However, 12 of them require additional subscriptions, being movies or sports.

click here

john bunyan 17:08 20 Apr 09

Thanks for the info. I will wait for freesat to become more HD friendly, as watching sport and films is not my cup of tea.

Something that hasn't really been made clear is that the most important factor is whether your monitor's resolution is high enough for HD.

There are 2 common resolutions used for broadcasting HD:

720p - 1280×720

1080p - 1920×1080

So provided your monitors resolution is equal / higher than one of these, and your computer is capable of playing a high definition .avi files then what you see on your screen will be high definition.

OTT_Buzzard 16:09 21 Apr 09

Valid point!

Also worth noting the difference between your i's and p's

E.g. 1080i refers to an interlaced st6andard which gives lower quality than its counterpart 1080p which is a progressive scan. Make sure your TV / Monitor supports p's as well as i's!

pchelper001 16:55 21 Apr 09

Cheers people, will do :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…