HDD/DVD Recorders

Newuser939 17:50 18 Nov 06

I am thinking of replacing an ageing VCR with a HDD/DVD Recorder. However, before I do, I would appreciate some first hand advice on a couple of things. For example, I have in the past had to replace failed hard disks in my computer. How reliable are the hard disks in recorders? Also, if I want to archive a programme to DVD, how long a programme would fit on a standard DVD?

postie24 20:34 18 Nov 06

Hi,im not sure about the reliability of hard drives in recorders,but as for the amount of recording time on a standard dvd with the recorder set to extended play its 6 hrs on my phillips dvd recorder

PC_HelpMe 23:00 18 Nov 06

Hi,
My HDD/DVD recorder was from ALDI and has heaps of memory on it. I've got a full film stored on it, and heaps of hour long programmes - and there is still loads of room left. Really handy for recording as you're not spending ages looking for a blank video tape to put in just to record something - you literally press the "hdd" button and press record. Ours gives us the option of what quality to record programmes in (various ranging from video quality which doesn't take up as much memory, or dvd quality which obviously takes up more). I think if the quality is set to the best it can do, you may get an hour's worth of programmes on to a standard 4.7gb disc. Hope thats of some help to you.

siouxah1 23:02 18 Nov 06

The 160MB disc recorder will give about 75 hours at standard quality and 212 hours at EP quality, look for a recorder that will dub from HDD to DVD disc at high speed.

Some recorders will write to dual layer discs. Therefore standard quality will give up to 4 hours.

Standard 4.7GB discs will give 6 hours but with my recorder it can be stretched to 8 hours. Not sure I would like the picture quality at that rate.

Also have a look at those that will give variable rate recording. This will adjust the bit rate to fill the space available. Which should help with PQ in some cases.

HDD reliability? As for postie24. But I have found my computer hard discs quite reliable. Had very few that go bust. Horses for courses I suppose. I am however informed that it is possible to replace hard drive oneself, when out of warranty of course. I am informed that it is a standard IDE hard drive.

I tend to use some DVD RAM discs for recording, same times apply to this type. Some DVD drives in the PC will write or read to these discs.

Whatever you get I hope you enjoy it.

Brian

Newuser939 10:39 19 Nov 06

Very many thanks to all who replied - that is most helpful and gives me plenty to think about before taking the plunge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac