HDD Recorder fault

Newuser939 16:09 30 Jun 07

I have just bought a Sony 970 HDD/DVD recorder. It nearly works properly, but not quite. In particular, several times an hour, the picture will break up or freeze altogether. I can rule out a problem with the aerial as my Sony Digibox works perfectly from the same aerial. I suspect that it might be a problem with the tuner, and will be taking it back on Monday. However, so that the shop (a Sony Centre) cannot fob me off with an excuse that I cannot understand, has anyone else had a similar problem before?

Diemmess 09:18 01 Jul 07

If [just bought] means the last day or so, your idea of return for replacement or refund is fair and sensible.
Do it tomorrow.

jack 08:54 03 Jul 07

Do check out the wretched SCART connections.
These are the cause of more problems that the devices they connect.
Most cables are cheap and not put together very well and pins do not connect properly or the shell eases out of the socket,because of the shape of the connector and size of cable these can easily become dislodged to an unnoticeable degree.
This past couple of weeks I have had no end of trouble copying VCR tape to HDD- and getting
A. no sound.
and
B. blank recordings[DVD/HDD recording nothing]
A post here delivered a zilch response.
Sunday afternoon I took apart one SCAART cable and rebuilt it.
That did the trick.

crosstrainer 10:45 04 Jul 07

Can cause problems too. When 2 devices are using the one aerial, one of them has to suffer some loss of signal. I had this with my Hdd recorder at first... upgraded to gold leads all round (including the aerial connections) and all is well.

This is particularly true if you live in a marginal signal area.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced